Minetest vs Minecraft

My experience in Minecraft is not so big, but I can say that it's more difficult for beginner to start with. I also prefer Minetest because it's free and easy to get, while Minecraft is not.

I have a brother (age 11) who I'm trying to bring to Linux.
Since he loves Minecraft, I'v pulled Minetest for him.
His veredict is tat MInetest only simulates Minecraft. Minecraft is far better then Minetest.I hope the OSS comunity can revert that.

I have a brother (age 11) who I'm trying to bring to Linux.
Since he loves Minecraft, I'v pulled Minetest for him.
His veredict is tat MInetest only simulates Minecraft. Minecraft is far better then Minetest.I hope the OSS comunity can revert that.
Minecraft is a pretty simple game, Minetest sure is as good as that. It's a matter of habit, your brother is a kid, he's obviously used to and more comfortable with minecraft, it's simpler for him to pick favourites.

If only we were comparing a bleeding-edge FPS with some open source game that's still using an old engine...

I wonder what kind of free games will come to life when the current engines "become" open source though :D

I just want Minencraft to have better performance. Switching to C++ would be awesome.

I don't like the lack of features in Minetest. It just seems to be so empty. Definitely has potential though.

I'm starring at Valve to boost Linux Power in gaming!!!
I don't like the lack of features in Minetest. It just seems to be so empty.
Touché!! That's preciselly what my brother mentioned!!! "Its an empty world"
;)

The PPA provided in the first post offers Minetest v0.4.9 which now has a "Mod store" where users can download and install more mods for free. Minetest v0.4.9 is significantly better than v0.4.7 which is in most stable repos currently. Minetest v0.4.9 also has weather features (sometimes it snows).

My daughter is a minecraft addict, I'll see what she says about minetest once I get home and install it on the my fedora test set that I will be setting up for a trial run.

I'm starring at Valve to boost Linux Power in gaming!!!

Touché!! That's preciselly what my brother mentioned!!! "Its an empty world"
;)

Yeah, think that might be a downer for her since a large part of why she plays minecraft is because her friends play it as well, I think of it as a digital sandbox and she chats to them while shaping the landscape. If its going to be empty which is more then likely since I am pretty sure none of her friends (or friends' dads /moms) are technically savvy (or geeky) enough to have linux boxes just lying around for their kids to play with, she is going to try it for a few mins then leave complaining that its "boring".

As for Valve pushing Linux as the gaming platform of choice, we can only hope so.
2014/15 will be interesting indeed given more and more high quality visual games such as Metro : Last Light and others are now showing up as Linux games.

I do like the furniture in Minetest...a mod anyway. There is now a furniture mod for Minecraft so what now?

Minetest is seriously faster than Minecraft which I think is its biggest advantage.

I just want Minencraft to have better performance. Switching to C++ would be awesome.

I don't like the lack of features in Minetest. It just seems to be so empty. Definitely has potential though.
That's what mods are for!

That's what mods are for!

Very true. I have been tinkering with Minetest (because I want to make a game server and have fun), and I have found some many mods that add bad guys, boats, TNT, this, that, and everything else. Minetest is what you make it. It is only "empty" if you make it that way.

By the way, when and if i have a public server up and going, I will post the information here so you can all see that it is far from empty (and so I can lock Ryan away in a cave with a Dungeon Master and no escape ;)).

minetest makes a mockery of minecraft and if you don't know what minecraft is, shut your mouth, sorry for my bad english

minetest makes a mockery of minecraft and if you don't know what minecraft is, shut your mouth, sorry for my bad english
The thing is, Minecraft is proprietary software and doesn't respect your freedom.
Minetest is Free Software and it rivals Minecraft in terms of gameplay and features, if you use the right mods. (I recommend "Carbone-Game" and KPGMobs...)

My experience with Minecraft is limited, but I can say that it is more difficult for beginners to begin with. Minetest also appeals to me more because it is free and easy to obtain, whereas Minecraft is not.
I am attempting to convert my 11-year-old brother to Linux.
Minetest was chosen for him because he enjoys playing Minecraft.
His conclusion is that MInetest is nothing more than a Minecraft simulation. Minetest is vastly inferior to Minecraft. I'm hoping that the OSS community can help to change that.

My two youngest kids (10 and 12) love minecraft. And they love minetest too. They just see minetest as a slightly different version of minecraft.
They don’t view minetest as inferior. Just different!

When the Minecraft alphas and betas first came out, they took the internet by storm.

Soon after that, a few minecraft clones popped up. And the most notable was minetest. Most notable because it was completely open source. It was actually playable. And also because it wasn’t Java based, so it ran much more smoothly than minecraft did on lower spec hardware.
No weird glitches, freezes or crashes when creating excessively large explosions with tnt, for example.

Another thing about minetest is - minetest itself is just a game engine.
Minetest-game is the minecraft style survival game that comes by default with minetest.

But there are a lot of other games/mini-games that run on minetest. AFAIK - They all feature the minecraft-style blocky graphics, but they don’t necessarily rely on the mining/crafting/foraging mechanics used in Minecraft.
There’s a list of minetest games/mini games here:

And there are a decent number of mods, which provide extra mobs, objects, materials etc. too.

But minetest is an open source project, still actively developed and maintained by a small team of volunteers. They aren’t making money from the project, so they can’t afford to be working full-time on minetest. And so the pace of development is going to be a lot slower.

I haven’t seen minetest for a couple of years now, so I haven’t seen any recent changes. But personally, I think the only thing minetest is really missing is a little bit of polish. Particularly the default minetest-game, could do with a few extra details to make the game a little more immersive.

Simple things like background music, background sound effects. Just small touches that would make the game feel a bit more complete and a little more engaging for players.

Minetest has come a long way in the last 8 years. And I’m sure it will continue to improve for years to come!

Man... Until I took the time to search, I had the game(s) confused with Minesweeper. I was kinda confused as to how the game could be generating so much interest, including dredging up an ancient post.

Staff online

Members online