Mint 21.1 Vera, looking good for Christmas

Apparently some people are getting corrupted downloads of Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit v21.1 from the Internode (Australia) server. Others, including me, are not. The reasons are unknown. I would not jump to any conclusions about the root cause of the Internode download issues.

I downloaded the Shoddy ISO to Cinnamon 20.3...ran the checksum and got OK...so I installed it and look what happened.
t2407.gif

Comments are in date order.....so I have not missed it. My comment was made yesterday and the latest comment shown is dated 30th December.
Maybe....just maybe, I struck a nerve.

Maybe....just maybe, I struck a nerve.

I'd like to think it's something other than that. Mint has had some past issues, so I'd like to think they're extra cautious these days.

I'd like to think it's something other than that. Mint has had some past issues, so I'd like to think they're extra cautious these days.

m01100.gif

I'm gonna be optimistic.

Besides, I gotta be optimistic today. I gotta be hopeful.

Yeah me too...still running Cinnamon 21.1 and seems go so far...fingers crossed.
m1217.gif

The ISO I'm running now came from USA link...Harvard School of Engineering so I was lucky this time and 21.1 looks good again fingers crossed.
m19066.gif

Well it's said Mint 21.1 automatically detects and installs your Printer...that's true but it doesn't bloody work.
t1943.gif

I have a new Epson XP-2205 printer...21.1 auto installed it...when I tried to print one page it came out blank...sound familiar.
t1934.gif

You still have to go here...https://epson.com/Support/wa00821 and download Drivers for both Printer and Scanner. Once Drivers are installed it still doesn't work...you have to uninstall and re-install the Printer manually for it to work.
m1123.gif

How do you get the Scanner to work...from the Software Manager I installed Gscan2pdf and now my Scanner works.

I haven't had a new Printer for 5 years...what I find strange is...no installation Disk or instructions...the installation Disk doesn't work in Linux so you don't need it anyway. What hasn't changed is very little support for Linux which is a shame.
m1512.gif

It must be said Mint 21.1 isn't the problem in this case...I hope this helps beginners as it can drive you nuts.
m0531.gif

Hope this helps.....from 21.1 software manager
1672548256349.png

That's a good find, Bob

I'm happy to say Cinnamon 21.1 is running great with no problems so far...if this continues I'll be switching to it.
m1212.gif

Onya Bob !!!

Another small problem...on my clean install of Cinnamon 21.1...I installed Virtualbox 7 with Extension pack.

I imported my win 7 VM and created a Shared Floder...so far so good but I couldn't get my Flash Drives to work even after adding myself to the vboxuser group...Guest Additions is installed too. Is it Mint 21.1 or Virtualbox because I've never had this before and I've been using Virtualbox for many years.
m09004.gif

I installed Linux Lite 6.2...got the same problem...I got a brilliant idea...I'll downgrade to Virtualbox 6.

When I did guess what...they still didn't work that was yesterday...so today I gave it another try and my Flash Drives now work...what the hell is going on...has anyone else had this problem. ?
m09010.gif

Flash Drives not working...I can live with that as long as my Shared Folder works I'm good...at least 21.1 isn't to blame this time...I think.
m1213.gif

Well Virtualbox 7 was the problem...not Cinnamon 21.1.
m1213.gif

It's been 8 days of running Cinnamon 21.1 now and it runs just fine...so I'll be moving to it...all that remains to be done is moving my files...notes and a few other things.
m1212.gif

I might add that I installed Mint 21.1 on my laptop yesterday. Took less than 1 hour to have it up and running and totally configured the way I like it with all programs installed that I need. Remember the old day when this same task would have taken days not 1 hour. If I had a newer machine with newer SSD it would most likely have been even faster.
Linux has come a long way!

@Condobloke
I have been running LM 21.1 for a while now.
Yesterday I purchased a new printer at the local Walmart store.
It is a Canon, PIXMA MG2500 series. Very inexpensive - $39.00.
Plugged it in, and about 5 minutes later was printing. No installing drivers, Mint takes care of that.
It comes with a scanner so gave that a try with the Document Scanner that comes installed on Mint. Bingo! It took about 15 seconds to recognize the Canon scanner.
I thought 'This is too good to be true'.
Turns out I was wrong. It is good and it is true.
Kudos to Linux Mint crew.

I just thought that it was time to give some praise to those who help Clem over at the Linux Mint group.

Just an Old Geezer {but still looking at the grass from on top}
Looking forward to the golf season which starts here in about 3-4 months.
TC

I might add that I installed Mint 21.1 on my laptop yesterday. Took less than 1 hour to have it up and running and totally configured the way I like it with all programs installed that I need. Remember the old day when this same task would have taken days not 1 hour. If I had a newer machine with newer SSD it would most likely have been even faster.
Linux has come a long way!

I like to do a clean install on a spare SSD...should anything go wrong like a shoddy ISO...I can go back to my main SSD (Tower) and download another one.

I have a list of software...web browsers and add ons...web sites etc. It does take time to do everything but I'm not in any hurry as I only do this every few years.

What I have noticed is 21.1 takes longer to boot...it's running on a 500GB Western Digital SSD...19.1 is on a 500GB Samsung SSD it's about 10 to 15 seconds. Once I move all my notes and a few folders to 21.1...I'll create an image and put it on the Samsung and see what boot time is.
m1212.gif

I've now transferred everything I wanted from 19.1 to 21.1 and running it from now on...it's a sad day because 19.1 has been a rock solid friend but 21.1 will be just as good.
m1213.gif

21.1 will be just as good.
Amen to that.
I discover tiny little differences in Lm21.1 each and every day....they are not huge....just tiny.....but they tell me that someone, somewhere, is putting in genuine effort to improve Linux.
The tiniest one is the spinning circle when I click on something like Thunderbird in the panel to open it.....a tiny, coloured spinning circle marks time while thunderbird actually opens.

Yes, it's not much....but it shows effort.

G'day @atrip36 - better off starting your own Thread on the subject at Linux Mint - someone will be along to help.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts