Mint and the Dell 4800

Mint_Me

Reaction score
Credits
I've had nothing but woes trying to get the last three distro's of Mint or Ubuntu working on my newly aquired Precision Laptop M4800. The K2100 is the biggest problem. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which distro works the best with my new laptop? As I don't have alot of experience wiht Linux any recommendations would be helpful...

thanks

A rolling release distro like manjaro will work best on new hardware.

Have a look at MX-19.1 Linux they offer a AHS Kernel / "Advanced Hardware Support" for those who are using new hardware.

Open the spoiler and have a read about the “Advanced Hardware Support”.

Due to the increasing presence of users with newer hardware (particularly newer AMD or Intel hardware), with this release, in addition to the standard 32 bit and 64 bit isos with 4.19 LTS kernels, we are producing a third iso that we call “Advanced Hardware Support” or AHS (pronounced Oz) for short. AHS is 64 bit and ships with a debian 5.4 kernel, Mesa 19.2 as well as newer xserver drivers and various recompiled apps that will utilize the newer graphics stack. We debuted the AHS repository sometime ago (blog post here), and we thought the time was right for an iso with the AHS repo enabled by default. AHS is a little untested, but the idea is that it will receive updates to the graphics stack over time, so for those that don’t need the newer open source graphics stack, there is little point is using AHS.

New “Advanced Hardware Support” Repo (ahs for short)

The package team has been working on a special section of our main repo that will allow users to install things like new graphics stack and firmware, including updated mesa packages, xorg drivers, and the like. It also has updates to various graphics acceleration packages and some applications that may be able to make use of them.
The repo is called “Advanced Hardware Support” or “ahs”. (Pronounced Oz)
The idea is that for users with newer hardware, the user can enable the ahs repo and, unlike the “mx test” repo, leave it enabled. Only packages that do not cause conflicts with the current main kernel will go into “ahs”.
The target is those users with things like newer amdgpu hardware, or later intel graphics sets, or those requiring newer mesa packages. The primary focus is the graphics stack.
The ahs repo will only be manually enabled by users who choose to do so. There is a hope that this will help us migrate packages to main over time as the current debian base ages.
Note that new kernels will remain in test and dkms driver packages will also continue to go into test, so users may still need to install a later kernel (particularly amd users) but at least users won’t have to fiddle with enabling test everytime they want to install a package just because they updated their graphics stack.
To enable the repo, open up mx-repo-manager, go to the last tab, and enable the “ahs” repo. Its been added since the last mx-system update, and the mirrors should be populated by now. Then do a “dist-upgrade” to get the newer packages.
If the ahs repo never shows up with updates, then you can add it manually to the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list file wit the following definition.
#ahs hardware stack repo
#deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ buster ahs
This new repo section is a little bit of an experiment. If you are perfectly happy with the stable repos and graphics stack, there is no real reason to add the ahs repo to your sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this have to do with the topic?
ThinkPads are made by lenovo not dell...

i'm lost there, peer - where is the lenovo reference?

and welcome @Mint_Me :)

wizard

Members online

Latest posts