Mint announces New Upgrade tool.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
For those who can't stand using the terminal here's some news from the Mint team that should be of help.

I really do hate to be picky.....but.......

They use the words 'update' & 'upgrade' interchangeably.

It is not so !

Update and upgrade are two different ways to make a change to an app or operating system. But the prime difference lies in a number of modifications made and the importance of those modifications. A software update includes bug fixes, and other small improvements, while a software upgrade changes the version of a software.

from: https://fossbytes.com/whats-the-difference-between-update-and-upgrade/

I'll just drop that there ......

I really do hate to be picky.....but.......

They use the words 'update' & 'upgrade' interchangeably.

It is not so !

Update and upgrade are two different ways to make a change to an app or operating system. But the prime difference lies in a number of modifications made and the importance of those modifications. A software update includes bug fixes, and other small improvements, while a software upgrade changes the version of a software.

from: https://fossbytes.com/whats-the-difference-between-update-and-upgrade/

I'll just drop that there ......
Tend to agree with you. They should be careful with the terms :(

It just appears to me that the Mint team(s) are going too far to accommodate LLUs* and are not paying enough attention to details (as @Condobloke notes). Time will tell.

Apart from my little 'nitpick"......it sounds really good !

Thumbs up to Clem and the team

Making the upgrade process simple and straightforward ...especially for those who are 'new' to Linux is a plus!

Perhaps their next move may be to demystify the command line/Terminal....or whatever the hell you wish to call it. If they were to settle on ONE name for it...that would go a long way.
New or old users bleating about the fact that they "hate" the terminal is plain bs. There is nothing to hate !...Either they have spent 10 or 15 minutes making sure they have the various commands etc down pat....that they have asked various people for help understanding what they are about to do....that they are accurate before they go ahead and use them.....
Rather than just hoping for the best .....and then throwing their hands in the air and screaming about how they hate the terminal and Linux and their mother in law like a spoilt kid when everything heads south ie...they break the system in some way and have not taken the most important advice, and made a system Snapshot with Timeshift.

That very behaviour ticks me off.

The very fact that Clem & Co have put an enormous amount of time and energy into this, puts them light years ahead of microsoft/windows.
This essentially allows the newer folk to be 'in charge' of the upgrade.....they will achieve maximum satisfaction from the 'hands on ' approach which this allows.... with very little in the way of risk

It is not so !
As most of us know already,
This essentially allows the newer folk to be 'in charge' of the upgrade.....they will achieve maximum satisfaction from the 'hands on ' approach which this allows.... with very little in the way of risk
brilliant idea for the newbies and those who just want the windows experience without the hassle of Viruses and break downs

IMO, recent changes like this and with MassOS have the potential to further divide GNU/Linux (and at least one distro wants to get rid of the GNU) into 1) traditional linux, and 2) dummied-down Linux for disgruntled Other OS users.

When this happens, you can label me 1337, I guess, though I hardly am.

Nice app. But what is so hard about doing:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt full-upgrade

It is all the PPAs that mess up upgrading on Ubuntu/Mint

Nice app. But what is so hard about doing:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt full-upgrade

It is all the PPAs that mess up upgrading on Ubuntu/Mint
I agree and in the olden days of my using Linux it was always advised to remove all PPAs prior to new Linux distribution.

I wasn't aware that Ubuntu or Linux Mint runs PPAs as default so if any PPAs exist a user has to install them.

I may be wrong about this since I'm only a Linux user and not a Linux guru.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts