mke2fs problems

Blackted

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I am trying to format an ext2 partiton using mke2fs, but when doing so the process asks for a start block (I use the default), but never prompts for an end block as I expect it to. I have checked on line and all examples given suggest that mke2fs should prompt for an end block. This gives me problems later, as i dont think the partition is very big once created! I am using Basic Linux 3, which fits onto a floppy disk (https://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/). The partition is created OK using fdisk, but I am obviously doing something wrong when it comes to formatting it.

I tried out the command on my dual boot Linux Mint, and it prompts for an end block as expected. Maybe its a bug in the version of mke2fs (version 2.12)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just realised its actually fdisk that I am having this issue with, not mke2fs!

G'day Blackted, and Welcome to linux.org

Why do you need to format that partition ?

I am adding a partition to an ms-dos formatted hard drive, so the new partition needs to be formatted to ext2 before i can put linux on it. Its fdisk i am having issues with, i cannot specify an end sector, so the partition is too small to put anything on i think!

If you were to put Linux on it anyway, Linux should do any formatting necessary during the install.

I am not absolutely sure of that, but there is every chance I am right.

If it wont fit you will just get an error message

If you specify that particular partition then try to install......if there is a problem it will just throw an error message and stop.

Ok thanks, I must admit this is an unusually small version of Linux that boots from a 3.5 floppy disk, with an option to add it to a hard drive partition if you want. I am fairly au fait with normal distros of Linux, including FreeBSD, Red Hat, Mint, Ubuntu et al, so this is just something I am playing around with, trying to use Linux on pretty old hardware. The machine in question is a Toshiba T2100 laptop, 486DX, 28Mb Ram and 250Mb HDD!

Looks like fun.

if it works, it works....if it doesnt, then another cup of coffee is called for....

Members online

Latest posts