Mount Files in network with mixed machines

DeMO DeMo

Reaction score
Credits
Two weeks ago I Upgraded my test machine with Several Linux distros and had the same issue. I use Linux Mint 19.3 and had no issues. However when I went to Linux Mint 20 I could not access files on my net. We have a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit machines in our building because of needed software in use. It would see the machines and folders but would not mount. It seems to be an issue with the 5.4 Linux kernel and accessing files on 32 machines in the building.. I went back to Linux Mint 19.3 and all was fine. Any comments. After Mint failed I had tried Ubuntu 20.04 and even Manjero...same problem with all the upgraded OS's. I use my test machine before I load changes on the other 64 bit machines in our network.

It seems to be an issue with the 5.4 Linux kernel

G'day DeMo, and Welcome to linux.org

All of the above is well beyond my paygrade, but is it not possible to change the kernel in order to rule out the 5.4 kernel ?

Thank You I have yet to get an even a reply on this event. The reason I say there is something in the kernel because it did the same thing in Ubuntu and Manjero when I tried them as a solution. The only correction was to put mint 19.3 back on, and everything worked. I will just have to wait and either over the months someone will note an issue. Of Course by 2121 I will have upgraded all machines, I would hope. Thank You for at least your reply.

For me I just do not have the time to get into development. I have my hands full working on a business. I do think as in the past that all will get worked out. I was always an Ubuntu person from 16.04 and 18.04 but than issues began to show up. It was no longer that rock solid stability. That was when I switch to Mint. Now I must see where the new kernel develops before 2023. If not I will have to move back to Windows 10. The Window 10 machines with drivers and files operation is flawless. The OS sees all. So after all these years being mad at Windows I find myself slipping back even though there is a price because the productivity has become solid.

Members online