Chihwah

Reaction score
Credits
Have the following setup:
- laptop screen (primary)
- Monitor (2nd)
- Screens mode: extend
-Layout screens stacked: primary below and 2nd is on top of primary
- Use 2nd screen to watch an movie from an DVD player (VGA and DVI connectors)

When I have a program in 2nd screen , and I am watching a movie. Is there a way to pull the program window in the 2nd screen to primary? I want to do this without looking at the Ubuntu 20.x 2nd screen.....

Is that possible?
(otherwise I have to pause movie, then goto the 2nd screen linux , pull whole window to primary, switch to DVD player, then start movie again) There must be a faster way...

Have the following setup:
- laptop screen (primary)
- Monitor (2nd)
- Screens mode: extend
-Layout screens stacked: primary below and 2nd is on top of primary
- Use 2nd screen to watch an movie from an DVD player (VGA and DVI connectors)

When I have a program in 2nd screen , and I am watching a movie. Is there a way to pull the program window in the 2nd screen to primary? I want to do this without looking at the Ubuntu 20.x 2nd screen.....

Is that possible?
(otherwise I have to pause movie, then goto the 2nd screen linux , pull whole window to primary, switch to DVD player, then start movie again) There must be a faster way...
That would depend entirely on which desktop you're using.

Unfortunately - I haven't used any traditional desktops in a long time. So I don't know offhand what features a lot of them have nowadays. But if you let us know what distro/desktop you use - somebody here might be able to help you.
I use dwm - a tiling window manager.

One thing I do know is that tiling window managers will allow you to use keybinds to quickly move applications between different monitors AND between different "tags" in the same monitor.
Tags are a similar concept to virtual desktops. But slightly different...

So you might want to consider trying out some tiling WM's like dwm, awesome, xmonad, or i3. etc etc.

But be warned - it's a completely different world to using a traditional desktop. There's a bit of a learning curve.
But once you get the hang of it, you might find that you prefer it!
Extra emphasis on MIGHT, because tiled wm's are not everybody's cup of tea!

Also, before installing and running any of them - I'd recommend looking them up online and trying to find some cheat-sheets for their default keybinds.

I've been using dwm on all of my Linux PC's for donkeys years. After all of that time, going back to a traditional point and click desktop just feels so clunky and slow to me.

But in dwm - in your situation -You can move an application from one monitor to another with a few simple keybinds.
It would still mean briefly switching away from the video, but because it's all done with key-binds, it takes no time whatsoever.
You won't even need to pause your video, it's so quick and easy to do.

So tiling wm's are an option.

Also, unlike other operating systems (like Windows and Mac) - In Linux, you aren't constrained to a single Desktop Environment/Window manager. You can install as many different desktops/wm's as you like and then select which desktop/wm session to log into at the login screen. You can also remove any desktops you don't like.

So, again - you could try installing some tiling wm's, try them out and see if they suit your needs better than your current desktop.

I found another way in Ubuntu 20.04.

- Close the browser for instance or any other program window you want to go into the primary screen
- Go to "activities" in the upper left corner
- Type in for instance "firefox". and click on it.

Voila, Firefox opens in the primary screen and the secondary is not touched.