moving from dual boot windows 10/ Ubuntu 22.04 NVRam locked

moltra

Reaction score
Credits
I was wanting to do 2 things expand my Ubuntu Partition and change from Legacy Bios to UEFI.

I was not thinking and deleted the Windows partition from the hard drive. Then I expanded the Ubuntu partition into all of the Windows Partition.

I tried to use Boot-repair-disk to repair the drive and be able to boot again. I am getting a NVRam locked error, I have reset the bios to default and cleared it with the jumpers and no changes.

I am not sure how paste bin works?

Free Pastebin: https://pastebin.pl/view/c5cc8825

Last edited:

Viewing that pastebin needs a login which may be a disincentive for people to view it. Perhaps choose a free pastebin ... maybe search "free paste bin".

Since you are deleting MS entirely, a cleaner solution may be to re-install linux ... just back up what you wish to and re-install ubuntu. That way you'll be able to arrange the partitions to your liking and have them all aligned properly.

The NVRam lockup sounds ominous since you've already "reset the bios to default and cleared it with the jumpers and no changes." If you haven't tried it, there's also the removal of the CMOS battery for a minute or so, and return it to see it that makes a difference. If you can get no further on that issue, you may have to reflash the BIOS after retrieving the latest BIOS from the manufacturer's website. That could actually be a good thing if there is a later BIOS available for your machine. The process however, needs to be done with great care since it can brick the computer if messed up so you would need to inform yourself of the steps to do it. These things vary between manufacturers.

I have been using timeshift to back up on a routine basis. Would resetting everything up from scratch and changing the drive to UEFI in the process be best? I also changed the link in the post with a free pastebin link.

I have been using timeshift to back up on a routine basis. Would resetting everything up from scratch and changing the drive to UEFI in the process be best? I also changed the link in the post with a free pastebin link.
The logs show "The firmware is EFI-compatible,", so a new installation in EFI mode would be the first step I'd take to see if it all loads. You can use the installer's partition tool, or you can partition the disk before the installation with a live disk such as Gparted, or a live or rescue disk with fdisk or gdisk so that when you are installing, partitions are set. The problem I see is the locked NVRam, for which I can only mention what I noted in post #2 at the moment without any more research. It would be nice if the new install neutralised that lock. As for back ups, I'd back up the files I wished to keep, probably on a usb, and perhaps note some of my configurations.

Should you decide to flash your BIOS make sure that the update for your BIOS is for your exact BIOS and your exact machine.

Using the partition mgr that comes with the distro that is being installed has always works well for me.
G-parted Live works great too.