MP4 Video Won't Download Correctly (Solved)

D

Deleted member 111282

Although I'm only in my late 20's, I've seriously become disgusted with how American Culture has consistently degenerated over the years (some of you who've interacted with me in the past know that about me in some regard). In response to that, I've spent the last few years slowly bettering myself so when people see, hear, or think of me, they instantly know I'm not the typical American slob, and it will hopefully encourage them to better themselves as well. Just so everyone's clear, that pejorative isn't directed at any Americans viewing this thread. One of the ways I'm doing that is by educating myself in various fields through reading and watching documentaries. I was trying to download a documentary about the Egyptian Empire but it wouldn't work. When downloading it from Invidious, it kept failing, which prompted me to check my hard drive space only to find out I have 108.6 gigs not in use. For some weird reason, when it did download, it appeared as a text file instead. Then I tried downloading it using YouTube Downloader and got an error message, even though the parameters were correct. Although I'm not directly downloading it from YouTube itself, I know YT will sometimes block downloads from occurring (most-likely to prevent copyright infringement), so I wonder if that's the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

David did you want to display a link, and subject to possible regional restrictions, I could take a look at it?

Chris

Last edited:
Both of these are in the linux mint repository

1667887526315.png

I can vouch for Video Downloader.

I did just now and it solved my problem! Thanks! :D

Both Video Downloader and getvideo work...with getvideo being the fastest and reducing the size from 2.3GB to 933MB...video looks good...might watch it.
m1203.gif

video looks good...might watch it.
m1203.gif

If you're referring to the documentary, it would've been nice if they broke it up into parts. Whoever is willing to sit through any kind of video that's roughly 4 hours long is a serious trooper. That being said, I did find this link to other videos about Ancient Egypt that were uploaded by the same creator, and I'll watch those instead because they'll be easier to digest. https://invidious.tiekoetter.com/playlist?list=PLq0ER3EMJsCEbrCW0lE3COXpQrw3791qH

If you're referring to the documentary, it would've been nice if they broke it up into parts. Whoever is willing to sit through any kind of video that's roughly 4 hours long is a serious trooper. That being said, I did find this link to other videos about Ancient Egypt that were uploaded by the same creator, and I'll watch those instead because they'll be easier to digest. https://invidious.tiekoetter.com/playlist?It runlist=PLq0ER3EMJsCEbrCW0lE3COXpQrw3791qH

It runs for 3.5 hrs...started to watch it but fell asleep
indifferent0023.gif
of cause there's plenty of videos on youtube about Ancient Egypt too.
happy0044.gif

It runs for 3.5 hrs...

I love stuff about Ancient Egypt but gosh I'm glad that is solved, spares me trying it.

Well done the pair of you.

Chris

Great, now I can watch it in installments. Ta, Bob ;)

I've always found that the easiest way to download anything from YouTube is to run the SlimJet browser. It has a dedicated media download utility built-in to it, and I've never yet known it to fail on YT......for ANY reason.

You'll see the prominently-displayed "Download" button, just below the video display, over on the left-hand side.

Worth a look, if you want to save stuff from YT with any degree of regularity. And since it's based around the current yt-dlp over at GitHub, it's regualrly updated to the latest build of this every time FlashPeak release a new version of the browser.....which happens quite frequently.

Mike. ;)