MPV, Chrome, and Celluloid not launching due to missing library

incedis

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings,
I have this setup for the past months and everything worked very nicely.
Recent update broke something.
I am using Arch Linux with LTS kernel.
I am a newbie at this so forgive the brevity/confusion.
I am using Chrome, MPV, and Celluloid. All three do not launch. All of them give me 'error while loading shared libraries: libmbedcrypto.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'.
I have uninstalled and did a fresh install of all three to no avail.
I ran ldd /usr/bin/mpv and same for chromium and celluloid. All of them showed 'libmbedcrypto.so.6 => None'. I am interpreting that the so in question is missing ?
I ran 'sudo /sbin/ldconfig -v' to rebuild the linker.
I also ran 'lddtree /usr/lib/chromium/chromium ' and all 3 for good measures. Still showing 'libmbedcrypto.so.6 => None'.
I refreshed my mirror list with up to date mirrors (thinking of a partial update) but that was a no go.

I don't know what else I could do to fix my issue.

PS: I do not compile or use unsupported software in my setup. I use lts kernel because I do not want to corrupt my system in any way shape or form. Installing Arch is already difficult enough and time consuming :)

Thank u for r time.

Try installing this package.
community/mbedtls 2.25.0-1
usr/lib/libmbedcrypto.so.6
The first time you install Arch it's time consuming, every time you install Arch again after the first time it takes less and less time.

Last edited:
thanks for r reply. Forgot to mention that mbedtls is already installed. mbedtls has no libmbedcrypto.so.6 but has libmbedcrypto.so.7. Probably the root of the issue. Library is in /usr/lib64.
Found a workaround that worked. Quiet happy because needed Celluloid and MPV for 5k video rendering.
My workaround: 'ln -sf libmbedcrypto.so.7 libmbedcrypto.so.6' and all 3 app are now working.
I cannot for the life of me comprehend what happened and understand the effect of this soft symlink that I created.
Thanks for the help. I am quiet happy as I did not feel like reinstalling Arch. Don't know about how people do it but I did not take any notes when installing and forgot all of it :)

I didn't take notes either I just used the official installation guide, the installation guide is all you need because it has links to all the parts you might need. I just installed celluloid and mpv myself, but I didn't run into the same problem as you and it didn't need that library either. Could be a bug or something like that, great job fixing it!

The soft symbolic link you created with the ln command tricks the system into thinking that libmbedcrypto.so.6 is installed. Programs that link with libmbedcrypto.so.6 will end up using the sym-link, which points to libmbedcrypto.so.7.

As long as the two versions of that library don’t have any huge, breaking changes in their API’s, then your applications will run smoothly using libmbedcrypto.so.7.

But if there are any breaking changes, you could experience crashes, exceptions, or strange runtime behaviours with those applications.

thanks for clarifying. What would be nice is to understand what happened. I cannot afford having my rig down. I am very careful as far as updating/upgrading. I don't even know how to compile. Probably I made the mistake or something else ?

I think it was bug triggered by something since your fixed worked, what you could do is remove the symlink you created and then reinstall mbedtls, then check if mpv, chrome and celluloid still work.

cannot afford having my rig down.

Is it at all possible that Timeshift would give you peace of mind?.....the ability to restore your system to a point in time when there was nothing broken etc ?

$ sudo yaourt timeshift

thanks for the help.
It would. I think, I need to have a pristine install first and then make a back up. At this stage, my system is far from being pristine. Don't want to back up a system where I have implemented workarounds that may break at some stage (don't even remember most of them. Latest being the symlink). As far as my own personal data, its being backed up regularly.

Pristine install would be ideal...yes.

However....better to have something rather than nothing at all.

Is it running ok now?...if so I would take a snapshot as it is and save it to an external hard drive.

Down the track when you have time to do a fresh install, take a snapshot immediately after the install and then perhaps one a week ?....the schedule is up to you.

FWIW I take snapshots once per fortnight, but I always have 3 on hand.....occasionally it will drop to two....never less than that

Members online