MT/s vs MHZ

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
i got new ram to day from china and have questions.
i had DDR3 4GB 1600MHZ X4 the ram i ordered is DDR3 4GB 1866MHZ X4 after i installed it my computer was slower. i tested with [ sudo dmidecode --type 17 ]
And it shows the speed at 1333MT/s is this the equivalent to 1866MHZ?

Distro Linux Mint 20.1
Motherboard) ASUS P7P55D PRO ,BiOS Version0209,CPU i5-750, RAM 16GB

I would take a look here:

Oddly, I recently had a similar line of thinking and that link was in my bookmarks for further research. That'll start you off where I launched off from.

The problem with, and this is not racist or xenophobic, a lot of forged/counterfeit material comes out of China. Buying a USB on a slow boat from China, say from AliExpress, seldom ends well. It'll report the correct amount of memory, but it actually is a tiny amount of memory and it just cycles things out as you add more to the drive.

I'd return it and pay more to get something from a reputable vendor - like NewEgg but not from their marketplace vendors (unless they're well rated). It's RAM. Odds are good that they don't even want you to ship it back. Just say it's "not as described" (assuming you DO determine that) and ask for a refund.

Oh, here's another link from the bookmarks (helpfully under 'web stuff', 'cause I suck at bookmarking things):

Thank you Kgill. ill need to read that last one sometime when im not half asleep. ;)
i did find the info i needed with [ sudo lshw -short -C memory ]
:rolleyes:*Surprise!*:rolleyes: their not 1866MHZ only 1333MHZ. :(
Time to start a ebay return.
DSCF3011.JPG

Good morning starshine.
This is the spec for your RAM in the workshop Manuel, please read carefully,

Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one
DIMM per channel only.

According to Intel CPU spec, DIMM voltage below 1.65V is recommended to protect
the CPU.

According to Intel CPU spec, CPUs with a core frequency of 2.66G support the
maximum DIMM frequency of up to DDR3-1333. To use DIMMs of a higher frequency
with a 2.66G CPU, enable the DRAM O.C. Profile feature in BIOS.

Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility, we
recommend that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor

you can mix and match ram ddr3-1333 with ddr3-1866 or ddr3-2133 BUT it will only run at the max speed of the motherboard or the speed of the lowest bar of ram

Members online