MT7921K wireless adapter issues

zinger565

Reaction score
Credits
New computer build currently bench testing. Running Pop_OS (also had same issue on Manjaro). Motherboard utilizes the RZ608 wifi card, but that's apparently the MT7921K, but re-branded. I've run a search and tried several of the solutions, nothing works.

Trying the solution suggested here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/137...s-lan-driver-is-not-supported-on-ubuntu-18-04 I try to run the modprobe and echo commands, but the echo command fails:
bash: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/mt7921e/new_id: Permission denied

uname -srm
Linux 5.16.15-76051615-generic x86_64
inxi -n (device 3 is a usb wifi adapter I'm borrowing)
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
IF: eno1 state: down mac: d8:5e:d3:83:9e:c9
Device-2: MEDIATEK driver: N/A
Device-3: Qualcomm Atheros AR9271 802.11n type: USB driver: ath9k_htc
IF: wlxb0487a93fa05 state: up mac: b0:48:7a:93:fa:05
lshw -c network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
logical name: eno1
version: 05
serial: d8:5e:d3:83:9e:c9
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=5.16.15-76051615-generic firmware=rtl8125b-2_0.0.2 07/13/20 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:35 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:fc500000-fc50ffff memory:fc510000-fc513fff
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: MEDIATEK Corp.
vendor: MEDIATEK Corp.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:e2100000-e21fffff memory:e2200000-e2203fff memory:e2204000-e2204fff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@1:1
logical name: wlxb0487a93fa05
serial: b0:48:7a:93:fa:05
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k_htc driverversion=5.16.15-76051615-generic firmware=1.4 ip=192.168.1.215 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
Motherboard is a Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-11/sp#sp

Looks like your getting permission denied on that command.
Try running it as root.

The command you ran for the modprobe rule and udev rule is wrong.
The article shows a mt7921e you have a mt792k.
So, change the command to suit what you have than try running the modprobe and echo command.

***If the onboard WiFi card isn't working you could return the mobo *** if it hasn't been too long?
Still have your receipt?

Last edited:
Looks like your getting permission denied on that command.
Try running it as root.

The command you ran for the modprobe rule and udev rule is wrong.
The article shows a mt7921e you have a mt792k.
So, change the command to suit what you have than try running the modprobe and echo command.

***If the onboard WiFi card isn't working you could return the mobo *** if it hasn't been too long?
Still have your receipt?
According to the askUbuntu answer, the mt7921e driver does work with that card, just the id isn't included.

I ran both commands with sudo in front, same thing:
minikeg@pop-os:~$ sudo modprobe mt7921e
[sudo] password for minikeg:
minikeg@pop-os:~$ sudo echo 14c3 0608 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/mt7921e/new_id
bash: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/mt7921e/new_id: Permission denied
The card does physically work. I somehow got it to work once while I had manjaro installed, but it didn't survive a restart and I couldn't get it back.

The drivers are available in Kernel 5.13 or higher, try Linux Mint Edge or MX-22 AHS

Pop is not a general build of Linux, it may be based on Ubuntu, but it has been compiled especially for System 76's own equipment, If it works out of the box, you're doing well, if not, well it is a pain in the butt to get it working

Pop is not a general build of Linux, it may be based on Ubuntu, but it has been compiled especially for System 76's own equipment, If it works out of the box, you're doing well, if not, well it is a pain in the butt to get it working
Understood. I'm downloading the latest Mint Cinnamon Edge release and will see if it will recognize the adapter.

you did try to run Commands like
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
to make sure all Driver are up to date right.
also you could use POP_OS! 22.04 or even POP_OS 21.10 since it runs with the new kernel

@Brickwizard and @kibasnowpaw
Apologies for the late reply, we had a storm roll through that took out power for a bit.

The drivers are available in Kernel 5.13 or higher, try Linux Mint Edge
I tried running Mint Cinnamon Edge from live USB, I checked and it is running kernel 5.13. No luck. I'm going to do a full install and update/upgrade everything.

also you could use POP_OS! 22.04 or even POP_OS 21.10 since it runs with the new kernel
I was running Pop_OS 21.10 with kernel 5.16

Over the last year, there have been loads of post's across the net about MediaTek Wi-Fi not working on Linux, some people have succeeded in getting it working, but many haven't, some gave up on Linux, others reverted to a Linux compatible USB Wi-Fi dongle. MediaTek use to use Realteck chipsets, but I have a feeling they now produce their own, as I cannot find any information in the workshop sheets I have read.
If you do not have any luck with Mint edge, do try MX-22 AHS as it has the fullest list of the latest drivers that I know, but again as yours is brand spanking new, it may still not work.

According to the askUbuntu answer, the mt7921e driver does work with that card, just the id isn't included.

I ran both commands with sudo in front, same thing:

The card does physically work. I somehow got it to work once while I had manjaro installed, but it didn't survive a restart and I couldn't get it back.
Maybe try kernel 5.13 or higher like Brickwizard suggested-

Does Pop OS use sudo or su?

sudo

Over the last year, there have been loads of post's across the net about MediaTek Wi-Fi not working on Linux, some people have succeeded in getting it working, but many haven't, some gave up on Linux, others reverted to a Linux compatible USB Wi-Fi dongle. MediaTek use to use Realteck chipsets, but I have a feeling they now produce their own, as I cannot find any information in the workshop sheets I have read.
If you do not have any luck with Mint edge, do try MX-22 AHS as it has the fullest list of the latest drivers that I know, but again as yours is brand spanking new, it may still not work.
Sounds fair. Thanks again for all the help. I'll keep trying things and if I do find something that works, I'll be sure to post back and mark as solved.

Really is unfortunate.

Members online