multiple linux os

rkonrad

Reaction score
Credits
I hope you can help me. I have used linux for at least 20 years so I'm perplexed why at this point I cannot (no longer) load multiple linux distros on my system. Currently I'm installing kubuntu, garuda lxqt, clear linux. No matter what order I try to install them in - the installation reports an error regarding grub. I've tried using the manual/advanced method ) which I've usually used and the automatic - claim free space method but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I'd be happy to include any logs or information that you would consider to be usefull.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Welcome to the forums
what method/application did you use to burn the ISO to the pendrive ?

I hope you can help me. I have used linux for at least 20 years so I'm perplexed why at this point I cannot (no longer) load multiple linux distros on my system. Currently I'm installing kubuntu, garuda lxqt, clear linux. No matter what order I try to install them in - the installation reports an error regarding grub. I've tried using the manual/advanced method ) which I've usually used and the automatic - claim free space method but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I'd be happy to include any logs or information that you would consider to be usefull.

Thanks in advance!

Richard
Presumably the installations are EFI. It will be the grub of the last installed distribution that will be the bootloader for all the distros. I'm not familiar with the grub defaults of those particular distros you mention, but recently in some other distros the grub config GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false needed to be set in /etc/default/grub for grub to probe for multiple distros. Once set, run the update grub command which that last distro provides. Another approach is to reinstall grub on the last installed distro and see if it that works. You could try that from a live version of the last distro that you boot up into RAM.

@wizardfromoz on this forum has expertise in grub which will surely assist if all else fails.

Last edited:
Can you maybe tell us when you get the error? I haven't had any issues with grub over the past year besides not getting the partitions set up correctly, and typing mistakes in my config files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sing out when you are wanting to go to bed, Brian - I will be around most of my day other than a trip for beer.

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

I don't think he can get that far, yet.

Can you maybe tell us when you get there error?

Perhaps a phone pic and upload it here?

From Brian's signature
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]

I would focus on getting Kubuntu on first and work from there. I have not used Clear OS yet.

G'day from DownUnder @rkonrad and welcome to linux.org :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I hope you can help me.

Your helpers go to virtual bar, Richard.:)

Members online

Latest posts