MX Linux Now Inaccessible due to Hardware Errors

and or a live OS on a usb stick preferably one that has a load of fixing tools
I don't know how System Rescue CD compares to Knoppix, or if they compliment each other, but I currently have two USB sticks to hand (one for either of the above and the other for installing MX 19.1 via Wizard From Oz's instructions).

When I have MX 19.1 running, I'll re-read the advice you and others have given/pending giving me (as new posts have come while I reply to you) and go through the instructions but in the updated MX version so that I can concentrate on Linux for its main purposes of general computing and compliment this with how to investigate/eliminate (where possible) Errors relating to my computer hardware.

and or a live OS on a usb stick preferably one that has a load of fixing tools
Although it's frustrating having computer hardware faults, I am learning a different side of Linux as a result, in this case relating to Errors which will compliment everyday usage of the MX distro.

if you can have a live OS on a usb with persistence even better. I rate slackware current 64 bit courtesy of Alien Bob using his iso2usb script on a par with knoppix 8.6
MX Linux is a live OS on a USB with persistence, but I'm not sure if it has the facilities that are in Slackware and Knoppix, but I'll try to get MX 19.1 installed onto my USB stick then installed to my hard drive later and have the other USB stick (I can always buy more) handy for Rescuing Distros purposes.

ok if you can get MX installed following @wizardfromoz fine . if you can have a rescue Cd and a spare cd with knoppix more to play with. When you get Mx installed remind me whether its 64 bit or 32 .
open a terminal and :
$ uname -m

Mx is debian based so is Knoppix but knoppix has a lot of fixing stuff as default Knoppix 64 bit(English ) is at :

Because Knoppix has just about everything you thing it doesn't have to have persistence.

Badblocks has frozen as displayed below for some reason, so I'll try the other test program in a moment to see if that can detect all or at least some faults.

Even if only a fraction of faults can be corrected (depending on the source of the faults), this would increase the reliability of the computer:

View attachment 6250

I'll have to further study the various Linux codes including "-v flag", as although I first used Linux (Mint Cinnamon) in 2016, I'm a new user to Linux since March 2020, so -v flags are a new concept to me, but like the other information you and others provide in this and/or other topics, this is very useful.

As time goes on, my use of Linux will become increasingly second nature.

I enjoyed using Micro$oft Windows 7 and other preceding Windows operating systems, but since Windows 7 expired, later than planned, I started exploring MX 17 regularly from March, and hopefully later today, I'll have MX 19.1 up and running, so I have the most up-to-date version, and will be able to concentrate on investigating faults with your/other members' help in MX 19.1. :)
from scrren shot thats not frozen it was in the process of checking and didn't fininsh.

if you use ctrl +c it should say process interrupted

you need to know what the tool is going to do and is it going to meet your objective?
we were going to look at health of disk. Testdisk /photrec is a lot about rescuing data.

So you need to take it a step at a time ?

ok if you can get MX installed following @wizardfromoz fine . if you can have a rescue Cd and a spare cd with knoppix more to play with. When you get Mx installed remind me whether its 64 bit or 32 .
open a terminal and :
$ uname -m

Mx is debian based so is Knoppix but knoppix has a lot of fixing stuff as default Knoppix 64 bit(English ) is at :

Because Knoppix has just about everything you thing it doesn't have to have persistence.
I'm still having problems with MX 19.1 (the 15 February download with GRUB Bootloader errors on one USB stick only which is ending up on different USB sticks despite me dragging the 1 May download ISO image to the DD transfer), and today I've had to use my USB stick with MX 17 as different computer technical faults locked me out of using my computer again, so for the time being, I'll have to hold off downloading Knoppix and a Rescue disc to ensure two USB sticks for these relate directly to MX 19.1 instead of MX 17.

I'm going to order more USB sticks later today so that I have enough spare including for Rescue and Knoppix purposes.

If, on the other hand, a CD is better suited for these (unless either a stick or CD can be used), I'll order CDs instead. Anything that saves me having to try to figure out which codes I need to type in after the following.

This is what came up this morning on my hard drive in MX 17:-

rootMX17 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
rootMX17: Inode 56762587, end of export exceeds allowed value
{Logical block 512 physical block 392192, Len 96}

rootMX17: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY {i.e., Without -a or -p option}
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fsck

BusyBox v/.22.1 {Debian 1:1. 22 0-19+63} built=in shell {ask}

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

{initramfs} _

The "_" symbol is a flashing cursor.

I then typed in "help" without quotes which displayed the following:-

{initramsfs} help

Built-in commands:
------------------

[ [[ alias bg break cd chdir command continue echo evid exec
exit export false fg getops hash help history jobs kill let
local printf pwd read readonly return set shift source test times
trap true type ulimit umask undir unset wait

{initramfs} fsck test
fsck from util-linux 2.29.2

I have had to resort to running just MX 17, and via a USB stick through "USB-HDD" (although that was blocked once a few days ago), as my physical hard drive is blocking me access.

If there is a way for me to re-access my access to my hard drive, I'll do this, maybe through my MX 17 USB stick.

from scrren shot thats not frozen it was in the process of checking and didn't fininsh.

if you use ctrl +c it should say process interrupted
I tried it again earlier today, but after waiting about half an hour, still nothing.

No doubt this is my computer once again preventing the program from working properly.

I can vouch for this being the likely cause of Libre Office variations -

MX 17 (Hard Drive) - Libre Office tries to load but stalls

MX 17 (USB Stick) - Libre Office works perfectly

Due to the variations between the same Office suite on two copies of the same distro, this further strengthens my belief it's my computer stalling Libre Office and Testdisk etc from working properly.

you need to know what the tool is going to do and is it going to meet your objective?
we were going to look at health of disk. Testdisk /photrec is a lot about rescuing data.

So you need to take it a step at a time ?
I don't know if any errors can be fixed, or which ones, but if anything can be rescued including me reaccessing my physical hard drive, I'd like to do this.

At present, I can't access Testdisk /photrec:

Testdisk photrec.png

well do you want to use something useful like knoppix on a usb ?

well do you want to use something useful like knoppix on a usb ?
Yes. Even more so if downloading Knoppix via my MX 17 USB stick that I'm using as I write to a different USB stick will enable me to access MX 17 on my hard drive in preparation for MX 19.1, once the unwanted 15 February download (that I deleted from another USB stick in April) of MX 19.1 is finally eliminated from my computer so that when I follow Wizard from Oz's instructions (as he confirmed I did correctly), the May (not February) download loads to my USB stick which will lead in turn to me, finally, being able to install MX 19.1 to my hard drive.

what ever you intend to do , knoppix on a stick is useful .

English iso is here : http://mirrors.sonic.net/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V8.6-2019-08-08-EN.iso

i think you said you had a spare laptop ,so i'm only interested at this stage of you using the laptop to get knoppix onto a stick and that you can boot that usb from the laptop to prove it works. if you an do that then that usb with knoppix will be a tool that any of us on here including mods might ask you to make use of.

as for the way of getting it onto a stick try this:

choose either Windows or linux. So this is where i would like you to be Maybe tomorrow. You will have knoppix iso on Desktop of laptop and you will have the appropriate ventoy on Desktop as well. Lets look at this soley as getting something useful onto a USb stick, a side project as it were and thats as far as it goes. So that way it does not interefre with any other advice you are getting .I'm sure nobody is going to argue against having one spare usb with knoppix.

Ventoy will not give you persistence with knoppix but we don't need it

what ever you intend to do , knoppix on a stick is useful .

English iso is here : http://mirrors.sonic.net/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V8.6-2019-08-08-EN.iso

i think you said you had a spare laptop ,so i'm only interested at this stage of you using the laptop to get knoppix onto a stick and that you can boot that usb from the laptop to prove it works. if you an do that then that usb with knoppix will be a tool that any of us on here including mods might ask you to make use of.

as for the way of getting it onto a stick try this:

choose either Windows or linux. So this is where i would like you to be Maybe tomorrow. You will have knoppix iso on Desktop of laptop and you will have the appropriate ventoy on Desktop as well. Lets look at this soley as getting something useful onto a USb stick, a side project as it were and thats as far as it goes. So that way it does not interefre with any other advice you are getting .I'm sure nobody is going to argue against having one spare usb with knoppix.

Ventoy will not give you persistence with knoppix but we don't need it
I'll keep my Desktop computer to hand (the same machine that's experiencing all the problems), but also make use of my Laptop which currently still has Windows 7 on it due to not having enough time to complete going through and backing up a backlog of files including photos on the laptop, so I will convert that computer to Linux asap.

In the meantime, as with other members, I am following your directions and will report back with my findings as soon as I can update you after my new USB sticks arrive, including with Windows.

Further attempts to download MX 19.1 onto my USB stick have failed, due to my desktop computer often automatically shutting down or restarting during downloads, thus ceasing them, eg MX and Knoppix.

However, another avenue I will explore, which may or may not amount to anything is to place my MX 17 USB stick into the Laptop (which is free from hardware errors). It's slower than my desktop and would need the Screensaver turned off for longer (so it doesn't revert eventually to the Log In screen which cancels downloads), but it works fine, and if all works out, I could download MX 19.1 onto the laptop, transfer it to a brand new USB stick (as before, per Wizard From Oz's DD installation method instructions who confirmed I'd followed directions correctly).

In turn, if the Laptop successfully gets MX 19.1 installed onto a new USB stick, it will be free of the February download with GRUB errors (which only relate to This computer), I can then return That stick to This computer, and provided the hardware faults blocking me direct access to my hard drive don't prevent MX 17 being overwritten, I should be able to use the MX 19.1 "Install" function from the USB stick onto my hard drive.

I can't guarantee this at present, as it depends on how things progress on the Laptop, but there's a chance this extra step on the Laptop will enable me to, finally, have MX 19.1 on This computer, and without any unwanted GRUB errors.

The above could also be applied initially on my laptop to Knoppix, any other program you've recommended, as if they can be transferred to a USB stick on That computer, the chances are very high, the same sticks will work fine on This computer, allowing installation (where installation is relevant, such as MX 19.1).

As I don't have enough USB sticks at present, I'll await deliveries of them so I can have a brand new one for MX 19.1 plus other ones for Knoppix and Ventoy.

It sounds promising that these programs will enable me to regain access to my hard drive (I hope so), and if even if not all faults can be fixed, if some can be fixed, this will increase my computer's functionality.

Last edited:
if you can get a spare usb stick then just download the Windows version of ventoy and use it on your laptop. I've tested the Windows version of ventoy latest on my wifes laptop which has Windows 10 and it works just fine. One easy thing about ventoy is that it formats a usb into a couple of partitions. The one that you can see when its attached to your pc is where you just drop iso's no dd needed. The other hidden partition with the stuff that does the works searches for iso's and lists then on a splash at boot. I have 4 iso's on 14 gig stick and can choose to boot any one of them. Mint 19 xfce worked, slackware install, slackware live . The only one that failed to boot was kali

if you can get a spare usb stick then just download the Windows version of ventoy and use it on your laptop. I've tested the Windows version of ventoy latest on my wifes laptop which has Windows 10 and it works just fine. One easy thing about ventoy is that it formats a usb into a couple of partitions. The one that you can see when its attached to your pc is where you just drop iso's no dd needed. The other hidden partition with the stuff that does the works searches for iso's and lists then on a splash at boot. I have 4 iso's on 14 gig stick and can choose to boot any one of them. Mint 19 xfce worked, slackware install, slackware live . The only one that failed to boot was kali
As always, I am very happy to try out anything that helps resolve or reduce computer faults (and in other cases assist with my Epson all-in-one and MX 19.1 transfer pending the technical issue delaying me beyond my control), whether on CD and/or USB stick, but wherever possible, I'd like to use USB sticks, as they're in wider circulation and are smaller to store.

I always follow directions you and other invaluable posters input to me, but regular computer problems, accurate instructions (but faults obstructing them working, such as with the MX Linux 19.1 issue) and in other cases confusing, incomplete or ambiguous instructions (unrelated to the forum) cause barriers I have no control over, as everyone's level of expertise is obviously different and not everyone would be knowledgeable or comfortable delving around and moving hardware, for instance, so I won't be doing that, only blowing dust out of it at most, as I won't risk my computer experiencing further problems than it already has. I'll leave computer engineer experts in person (once the Corona Virus lockdown is lifted when engineers resume seeing customers) to look at my hardware to repair or replace it. :)

In the meantime, if there is any way for the number of computer errors to be reduced, eg any command line instructions, I'll give them a go.

Although I will eventually be transferring MX Linux asap onto my laptop, as Windows 7 is still on it, as soon as my new USB sticks arrive (as I'm limited on them at present - one currently reserved for MX 19.1, which I've had to format due to the dilemmas beyond Wizard From Oz's control, as he's confirmed I followed directions by my screenshot, but a faulty February installation keeps returning, as confirmed by another member, and another for Knoppix), thanks to your invaluable recommendation to have more USB sticks to hand, I'll then download the Windows version of Ventoy for use on my laptop which I first became aware of, thanks to you, and it sounds an excellent program.

If my computer holds out long enough (before sudden shut downs or restarts), I'll also try the Linux version of Ventoy on a future USB stick, but the Windows version on the Laptop should definitely work on that computer, as it's not experiencing any hardware faults.

I'm not sure why Kali failed to boot, unless it's the way that distro is structured, but I'm glad you had success with Mint 19 and Slackware.

Due to the well known technical problems I've reported on this forum among my topics, Downloads on This (my Desktop) computer vary as to whether they complete downloading (due to my computer intermittently but regularly automatically shutting down or restarting which disrupts the downloads) relating to hardware errors (confirmed during MX's Start Up where references to a few hardware errors appear in the listings), but I'm doing the best I can under difficult circumstances and reporting back my findings as and when I have updates, wishing everything were working perfectly, as before this year, I've had no problems with this computer, but I'm lucky my computer works at all, as some hard drives with errors cease altogether, depending on the severity of the problems.

Hi again Captain Sensible

After initially thinking I had good news that, after re-starting up my computer via my MX 17 USB stick, the MX 19.1 download resumed where it left off, but it eventually failed (I tried the Sourceforge option as an alternative, but Sourceforge or MX Mirror links, sadly no success). Likewise to Knoppix.

So, it's clearly not the programs, themselves, but my computer, including the MX 19.1 issue, as Wizard confirmed I'd followed his instructions correctly from the screenshot, but for some unknown reason, an outdated February download with GRUB Bootloader faults transferred to one of my April purchase USB sticks, even though I only ever installed the February download onto an older USB stick (since formatted), as the correct 1 May download (that I dragged from the Downloads folder to the Terminal) was overridden by the faulty February download, backed up by another forum member - Tolkem who'd experienced the same problem who recommended me to try the Sourceforge link to download MX 19.1 which would have worked if it wasn't for my erratic computer.

At present, I can only use This computer via my MX 17 USB stick, as after overriding the blocked access to my hard drive a few days ago, yesterday the block resumed with the errors I quoted before, which is where the programs you recommended will hopefully enable me to re-access my hard drive, but I will make use of the programs you've recommended as soon as my new USB sticks arrive.

Nevertheless, I am doing the best I can under difficult circumstances with the obstacles well known about in my three topics, and eventually, who knows when, there will be light at the end of the tunnel, but like other members who have given relevant, helpful advice, your advice is also most helpful, and I will update you asap as soon as my new USB sticks arrive and I've had chance to try out Ventoy.

At present, I can only use This computer via my MX 17 USB stick, as after overriding the blocked access to my hard drive a few days ago, yesterday the block resumed with the errors I quoted before, which is where the programs you recommended will hopefully enable me to re-access my hard drive, but I will make use of the programs you've recommended as soon as my new USB sticks arrive.
Read my answer in your other post https://www.linux.org/threads/mx-li...ble-to-install-on-hard-drive.27999/post-91442

Thanks Tolkem.

I'm working my way through replies per topic and will read and reply to yours in the above link shortly.

It will be a huge relief when these technical faults are eliminated, although depending on the source of the errors stem from will influence if, which and how many errors can be corrected, as my existing hard drive will need to be repaired or replaced post-Lockdown due to the hardware errors confirmed during Start Up.

Members online

Latest posts