My computer freezes randomly.

There is a solution for acpi errors on this page under the word "Hardware"
However I'm not sure if that will solve your issue. If you try the instructions write down what you did so you can reverse it if it didn't help.

Freezes such as you have described can be both software and hardware related and as you have found sometimes frustratingly difficult to diagnose.

Hardware​

If this is a desktop PC look at your hardware-cards. For both laptops and desktops possibly acpi type issues.
It might be useful to temporarily simplify your configuration to have just the graphics card connected with a standard keyboard and mouse. All other cards should be removed.
For acpi related issues, try booting with noapic nomodeset in your grub boot option. Its also worth trying acpi=off although this could have other undesirable effects such as constant fan usage.
Also worth checking the bios version level and seeing if the vendor has a newer bios version. The readme notes should hopefully reveal if any newer version fixed crashes and freezes.

let's wait for @brickwizard .
Evening all, I have taken a look at the box specs, one or two things may give problems @computer_guyi
can you please install inxi [if you haven't already got it], and run a full report, terminal command inxi -Fnxz and copy/paste it back
thanks

Whilst I wait for the inxi report, so we can check the hardware & drivers, a little information
Evoo is a budget brand, the brand licence is held in the US by Walmart and subsidiaries,
the products are made by Shenzhen Bmorn Technology Co. Ltd in China, and are sold worldwide under several brands, the most notable is the HP OMEN Laptop [which is almost identical to yours in tech spec],

Evening all, I have taken a look at the box specs, one or two things may give problems @computer_guyi
can you please install inxi [if you haven't already got it], and run a full report, terminal command inxi -Fnxz and copy/paste it back
thanks
Code:
System:
  Kernel: 5.15.12-arch1-1 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0
    Desktop: i3 4.20.1 Distro: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: EVOO Products LLC. product: EVC156-1 v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: EVOO model: EVOO serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: EVOO Products LLC. v: CC-BI-15.6-XU133SR400-SC60B-161-C
    date: 09/19/2020
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 23.6 Wh (46.0%) condition: 51.3/N/A Wh volts: 7.5
    min: N/A model: Intel SR 1 SR Real Battery status: Discharging
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i7-6660U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    arch: Skylake rev: 3 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 500 min/max: 400/3400 cores: 1: 500 2: 500 3: 500
    4: 500 bogomips: 19204
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Iris Graphics 540 driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Device-2: YinZhiJie Y220A type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-7:5
  Display: server: X.Org 1.21.1.2 driver: loaded: intel
    unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:1f.3
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.12-arch1-1 running: yes
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.19 running: no
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: N/A running: no
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: rtw_8821ce v: N/A port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
  IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Realtek Bluetooth Radio type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
    bus-ID: 1-8:6
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: not found
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: no address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 245.97 GiB used: 10.17 GiB (4.1%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda model: W800S 256GB SSD size: 238.47 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB model: General size: 7.5 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 78.69 GiB used: 10.1 GiB (12.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C pch: 44.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 157 Uptime: 2m Memory: 7.67 GiB used: 1.11 GiB (14.4%)
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 11.1.0 clang: 13.0.0 Packages: 582
  Shell: Bash v: 5.1.12 inxi: 3.3.11

Whilst I wait for the inxi report, so we can check the hardware & drivers, a little information
Evoo is a budget brand, the brand licence is held in the US by Walmart and subsidiaries,
the products are made by Shenzhen Bmorn Technology Co. Ltd in China, and are sold worldwide under several brands, the most notable is the HP OMEN Laptop [which is almost identical to yours in tech spec],
Thank you for the insight

OK … Thanks to the inxi report, there doesn't appear to be any serious problems with either the hardware or the drivers, with the possible exception of the Bluetooth which may need setting up,

Next is a little test, go into the bios settings, find the ACPI and disable it, reboot and see if you get the same problems, WARNING this is for test purposes only as it may cause other problems [fan constantly running is common]
If this stops the problem, then I reckon there may be a glitch in the Kernel, which over the years has been a common occurrence between Linux and ACPI when your kit is too new, a net search may be needed to find a fix
[one fix may be to update the bios, But I don't think it's your problem]
another thought is to try MX21-64-ahs linux it contains many of the newer developments not currently in other distributions

Oh, and dont forget to re-enable the ACPI in the bios and re-boot after running the test

Bwiz

You do have this
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing

This displays info about a GLX extension and OpenGL renderer
possibly some part of mesa is missing like maybe mesa-utils

However I'm not sure if that will solve your issue. If you try the instructions write down what you did so you can reverse it if it didn't help.

Freezes such as you have described can be both software and hardware related and as you have found sometimes frustratingly difficult to diagnose.

Hardware​

If this is a desktop PC look at your hardware-cards. For both laptops and desktops possibly acpi type issues.
It might be useful to temporarily simplify your configuration to have just the graphics card connected with a standard keyboard and mouse. All other cards should be removed.
For acpi related issues, try booting with noapic nomodeset in your grub boot option. Its also worth trying acpi=off although this could have other undesirable effects such as constant fan usage.
Also worth checking the bios version level and seeing if the vendor has a newer bios version. The readme notes should hopefully reveal if any newer version fixed crashes and freezes.

Hardware​

When i boot with acpi=off it ignores all input, it doesn't let me do anything, given that i dont use a display manager, i login in the tty. And nomodeset and noapic dont work either.

OK … Thanks to the inxi report, there doesn't appear to be any serious problems with either the hardware or the drivers, with the possible exception of the Bluetooth which may need setting up,

Next is a little test, go into the bios settings, find the ACPI and disable it, reboot and see if you get the same problems, WARNING this is for test purposes only as it may cause other problems [fan constantly running is common]
If this stops the problem, then I reckon there may be a glitch in the Kernel, which over the years has been a common occurrence between Linux and ACPI when your kit is too new, a net search may be needed to find a fix
[one fix may be to update the bios, But I don't think it's your problem]
another thought is to try MX21-64-ahs linux it contains many of the newer developments not currently in other distributions

Oh, and dont forget to re-enable the ACPI in the bios and re-boot after running the test

Bwiz
Disabling acpi doesn't work, i might consider changing to mx linux when i become aware of the absolute unawareness of the solution of this issue from other people. Thank you very much for giving me your time.

When i boot with acpi=off it ignores all input, it doesn't let me do anything, given that i dont use a display manager, i login in the tty. And nomodeset and noapic dont work either.
Roger that-

The only other thing I can think of is to see if the vendor of your machine has provided a BIOS update.
If so apply the update and see if that helps.

If it is of any help, given that i have a dual boot setup with windows, i have recently noticed that if i boot first in windows for a couple of minutes, and then boot in arch linux, the system doesn't freeze. Surely an odd thing.

You do have this
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing

This displays info about a GLX extension and OpenGL renderer
possibly some part of mesa is missing like maybe mesa-utils
On a Ubuntu system running dpkg -L mesa-utils would show if the mesa utilities were installed.
I wasn't sure what OP would use on an Arch based system to find out if the mesa utilities are installed or not so I looked it up.

Looks like this cmd should work.

Code:
pacman -Qi <packageName>

Found that information here:

If it is of any help, given that i have a dual boot setup with windows, i have recently noticed that if i boot first in windows for a couple of minutes, and then boot in arch linux, the system doesn't freeze.

On a Ubuntu system running dpkg -L mesa-utils would show if the mesa utilities were installed.
I wasn't sure what OP would use on an Arch based system to find out if the mesa utilities are installed or not so I looked it up.

Looks like this cmd should work.

Code:
pacman -Qi <packageName>

Found that information here:
Thank you

If it is of any help, given that i have a dual boot setup with windows, i have recently noticed that if i boot first in windows for a couple of minutes, and then boot in arch linux, the system doesn't freeze. Surely an odd thing.
I find that very interesting.
That would make me suspicious of Windows updates and possibly the boot manager for Windows maybe causing conflict?

I find that very interesting.
That would make me suspicious of Windows updates and possibly the boot manager for Windows possibly causing conflict.
It could be misinterpretation, but it has happened consistently to me which leads me to this conclusion.

It could be misinterpretation, but it has happened consistently to me which leads me to this conclusion.
For what it's worth I remember reading a few months back in an online forum (Linux Mint) that someone had the same thing going on with their dual boot of Windows 10 and Linux Mint.
He thought that the Windows updates were breaking his Linux Mint system from booting.

Members online

Latest posts