My friends' email clients think my email is spam. How to set Thunderbird?

Toove

Reaction score
Credits
I just want to send and receive email, store it on my computer. I don't want to integrate with calendar or anything. Just that. I don't use any other device than my desktop. And ease of use, where I don't need to learn commands that I will forget immediately. And the ability to search. The technician at my email provider said it has to do with the local settings of my email client, that makes the receivers interpret it as spam. Or if you can suggest another email client. In my repository there seems to be Enigmail, Claws-mail, Evolution, Sylphead.

The technician at my email provider said it has to do with the local settings of my email client, that makes the receivers interpret it as spam. Or if you can suggest another email client. In my repository there seems to be Enigmail, Claws-mail, Evolution, Sylphead.
An email client has no influence whether an email gets marked as spam or not, it all depends on if both the sending and receiving mail servers are configured to modern standards. If the receiving mail server is configured to modern standards and the sending mail server isn't chances are high that those messages will be marked as spam by the receiving mail server. That technician is full of crap, if that were really the case that it would depend on the client side whether an email is marked as spam or not a lot of people would be having issues with their mail ending in in the spam. The e-mail client you use shouldn't matter.

To add to the above - and I'm leaving shortly, but will return - who's your email provider?

You might give this a try:

And f33dm3 is absolutely correct. The tech who told you that likely wanted to clear the ticket or whatnot.

just out of interest....send an email to yourself.

Tell us if it lands in your spam folder.

Is it possible that you have chosen PoP as the incoming email protocol ?

you may get more joy by selecting IMAP....you will find this in Thunderbird preferences

The server name then becomes imap.gmail.com (substitute your email provider instead of gmail)

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply, I wanted to test things first. I installed Thunderbird again, IMAP style. My email provider is altiboxmail.no. When I send mail directly from their internet mail page, it doesn't end up in spam.

There was a meeting and I sent out seventy emails, and one person told me it arrived in her spam box. We have a facebook group too. I hope that not more people got it in their spam box, but couldn't be bothered to tell me. Her email is hotmail.no. Nobody else had a hotmail.no account, so I guess it could be that.

I sent an email to that test site, and it came back with a rate of 7/10, that they said was good.

I don't actually have a spambox, because I get so little spam, since I never give that email to web pages. I did it once last year for an email newsletter about health, whereafter I got lots of health spam, and after a few months of clicking unsubscribe I actually emailed and even called the companies that the commercials came from and gave them a lot of swear words for not stopping the spam, and it stopped, except that one of them have sold my address to some phishing people.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. Because of that one person I still don't trust Thunderbird, but I guess I can use the internet interface to mail if I am sending to someone new/important.

I get a 10 out of 10 on the site - and that just barely gets me through spam filters. I still get caught up in some aggressive spam filters.

The biggest change you can make would probably be switching to SMTP vs. PHP's sendmail() function - assuming that's how you're sending out the emails. There are a zillion ways to accomplish this, some easier than others - especially if you're using a CMS like WordPress.

As said before the mail client a person uses to send mail has nothing to do with whether a mail ends up in the spam folder. It's all depends on the sending and receiving mailservers, yes in your mail client you can mark a mail as spam but that is only done locally but doesn't have effect on anyone else.

Thank you. Because of illness this took very long time. But now it looks like I am on 9/10, and the only minus is "send from your private domain", which I don't have, or at least not such a domain that I mail from.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me.

on thunderbird on my client machine , there is an influence as to whether I mark it as spam, and that does influence whether it goes to my spam folder or inbox. Thats done by enabling adaptive junk mail control. Slightly off tangent but pertinent to thunderbird is the issue of file really too large to send as an attachment. I managed to add dropbox to Thunderbird by installing DropBox , then using a Thunderbird plugin. So emails of large files now present a url to the file on dropbox

Attachments

• thunderbird.png
    thunderbird.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 156
Thank you. Because of illness this took very long time. But now it looks like I am on 9/10, and the only minus is "send from your private domain", which I don't have, or at least not such a domain that I mail from.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me.
Ok, I think that's the key. Out of curiosity: what is your email provider? Is it something like @gmail.com or @outlook.com, or is it a domain from a country, state or regional ISP? (e..g: like the @bigpond.com.au emails we have at Australia, offered by Telstra --an internet and mobile phone provider).

If an email recipient is complaining about a domain being private, that may point out that your email provider is not using some security headers called SPF and DKIM, and DMARC on top of them.

Long story short, those are some sort of signatures that attestate that the email (something(@)domain(.)com) is really coming from the servers behind "domain.com", and that no one else (someone_else(@)spammers(.)com) has faked it to send Spam.

If your email provider is not using those headers, that may be the reason they suspect your emails are Spam. And if that is the case, then this is nothing you can solve on Thunderbird, but something your email provider needs to solve.

I don't know what email clients all of your recipients are using but in Thunderbird all they should have to do is right-click your message and mark it is "not junk" and that should pop it back to the regular Inbox.

Staff online

Members online