My gpu does not give its potential in all applications

liltingle

Reaction score
Credits
At first, I thought that my GPU was failing because I have it working with a SATA adapter to 6 pins power. The failure consisted in opening blender and run some file moderately complex graphics and Cemu in Zelda when I took the viewer, the pc was froze.
I decided to install Optimizus Manager since I have 2 monitors and through Corectrl I see that the use of the pc is static as if it was not being used. However, when using Cemu and play if you use the GPU, the use of the pc is static if you use the GPU.

Kernel: 6.1.26-1-MANJARO
DE: GNOME 43.5
CPU: Intel i7-4790S (8) @ 4.000GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM
GPU: Intel HD Graphics
Memory: 2480MiB / 7834MiB

$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)

DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"`
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series (pitcairn, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.49, 6.1.26-1-MANJARO)

DRI_PRIME=pci-0000_06_00_0 glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL renderer'
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x46 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 5 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x87 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 4 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
using DRI_PRIME=1 before running blender I get the expected result, to transpolate that function to the whole system

Welcome to the forums!

You have a problem that is beyond my knowledge of Linux and technology. But remember that not all programs are optimized for visual performance. Blender is expected to be part of the forefront but might not be good enough for people demanding bleeding edge technology all the time. The program is great, I'm sure, but if somebody is willing to pay a lot for the latest and greatest equipment, the same merchants figure he/she is ready to do so for software as well. Blender could be had for free, which means less effort might be put into it than payware available for MacOS or Windows.

I'm not saying this to discourage anybody and admittedly it was poorly written.

Blender is great at what it does and many people use it. It works for people who have "average" equipment compared to yours. There is a lot of proprietary stuff that has to be sorted out and those other guys, whose products I listed just above, have the first step in everything about it. An OS that has to be sold has to be the best at what it does. Linux could be downloaded for free which would do OK in most tasks that people expect better performance for their equipment than on a proprietary OS.

Changing the distro might not help you. A few persons hop distros miserably thinking they could find the "sweet spot" but it's just wasted time and disillusionment. We all just have to be patient to see if the "powers that be" in favor of freeware could give us a working solution. :)

1684184498901.png

déjame mostrarte el problema, esto es blender sin ejecutarlo con DRI_PRIME=1 blender y la segunda imagen es cuando lo ejecuto con ese comando
1684184597245.png

Above the OP is showing performance in Blender of the GPU of their computer without DRI_PRIME=1 setting (the picture above) and with the setting enabled (the picture below).

I happen to know Spanish, but not everybody in this site could understand. Please translate to English before posting.

The AMD GPU driver is in the kernel that's the good news. Perhaps you can adjust the settings?

Arch Linux WiKi:

Sorry, didn't realize you have dual gpu's on that system. Not my area of expertise:-

Can multiple GPUs be used for rendering? Blender​

Yes, go to Preferences ‣ System ‣ Compute Device Panel, and configure it as you desire.

There may be other options in your BIOS to control the gpu's too so have a look there.

Wish you the best with this.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts