My new Linux/OC/Gaming build :)

I highly recommend keeping a few VMs around loaded with your favorite operating systems. They are a great way to try out new ideas and new software without taking the risks of messing up your system!

I agree! VMs are invaluable! I use mine for opening any suspicious programs safely. If somethings a virus, you can just blow it away, nothing lost.

I use Linux for everything. Except games. For that I use Windows 7. Yes, if you are into gaming, dual booting is the way to go.

450W PSU for OC PC should gives a pain-in-the-ass. 500W consider fine for me. To make it in the safe area, i recommend you to grab 600W PSU for future-proof. Real power PSU is not that expensive nowadays if you're comparing with the old days. If you want a neat setup with good cable management, grab Modular series PSU + good sleeving like Murdermod ones. Making Hackintoshing nowadays is not that hard 'coz support is everywhere when you need it with a lot of Hackintosh forum found in the net. With the right hardware it should gives you good to go. I'm using 2 Hackintosh at home too with 1 of them (which i'm using right now) is not a Gigabyte brand mobo which usually used by Hackintosh machine. I have to compile the DSDT for the mobo myself to make it run perfect. For the kext, it's easy to find since TonyMac site provide good kext already. If not, go to kext forum a.k.a OSx86[dot]net :D

Just wondering, have had any problems with Linux in terms of game requirements? most of the games I have played, usually MMO's always specifies Windows OS as the requirement.

Just wondering, have had any problems with Linux in terms of game requirements? most of the games I have played, usually MMO's always specifies Windows OS as the requirement.

For gaming he mentioned booting into an Windows environment due to the fact that Linux OSs are not supported by main-stream game publishers. For gaming on a Linux Machine I can only think of two possible solutions:

1. Install WINE and run games through that.
2. repartition your HDD, Creating a small partition for a Windows OS and boot to that for gameplay.

I hope this info was helpful, you can also check the following article for more info on gaming on Linux based computers.
Linux Gaming: Are We There Yet?

That's a sweet setup, Post some pictures once its all built and put together. Been looking to build my own for some time now thanks for the ideas. :D

Seems like a pretty good setup my friend enjoy your gaming!

Hey guys!

I'm gonna build a new computer in a few weeks, and here is my hardware list. Please tell me what you think about it, I hope everything is compatible with linux. (I think they are)
I'm also gonna game on this computer, I'll be using Dual boot. Another question: What do you think about the PSU? Someone says that it's enough, but someone says that I need at least 600W.... But I think that's too much..

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000
Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 Intel P67 LGA1155
Processor: INTEL Core i5 2500K 3.30 GHz
Graphic Card: ATI HD6870 Sapphire
Memory: Kingmax 8GB/1333MHz DDR-3
Winchester: WD 500GB 7200RPM SATAIII 16MB
PSU: Cooler Master GX450W

Woah that is really a powerful pc you got there ! I love the graphic card. How much did you pay for this baby ?:D

Members online

Latest posts