My Turn to ask for help.. FAIL UNABLE TO KILL [solved bu not as you may expect]

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
I decided to try and make use of my 20 yr old Acer 2413LM lappy [the one that had XP on it with all the old games for the kids to play] it has a 1.5 celeron M cpu and started with 250kb ram but at some time in the past I upped it to 1GB [I have 2gb on the way if I can get it going]
I have tried every 32bit distro I have [about 8 in all] all loaded except Peppermint [which was a surprise as it runs beautifully on my Acer ZG5..]
Every disto failed to kill on shutdown any thoughts?
I have put it back in the cupboard for now till the 2gb ram turns up, so no immediate panic

Bwiz

Last edited:

the last bios update was in 2007 [which I did] don't think there is a later one but will take a look,yep tried puppy along with Peppermint, Q4, lubuntu, linux lite, Mx, bohdi, antix & zorin [oh thats 9 not 8] and thats run me out of dvd-r discs [the Travelmate won't support usb boot]

OK boys the ram arrived this morning [wasn't expecting it till next week]
this post is coming to you from my travel mate, in an effort to get it working I tried every 32 bit disc I had lo and behold it works perfectly with 2 of them Linpus lite 9.4 and Mint 13-mate [this is mint]
so the kill dose work on 14 yr old distibutions but not curent ones
I hope this info will help someone come up with a solution for loading a current os.on it
oh peppermint loaded today but like the others the kill on shutdown failed
Bwiz

You could modify the grub -
Find the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Change this to: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

Members online