Names of Linux Vendors

SpongebobFan1994

Reaction score
Credits
I was recently using TuxPhones to learn which phones and tablets are compatible with Linux because I'm still looking into upgrading my devices (I now have the money to finally do that). While I did find at one least phone I was thinking of getting, it reinforced how Linux still isn't widely-compatible on most devices. While there are the Librem devices, they're too expensive for my budget, and the Pine devices are known for being experimental hardware. I also tried looking at ThinkPenguin and Star Labs, but they don't offer phones or tablets. There's a few other Linux vendors, but I don't remember their names off of the top of my head, and searching for their names on DDG gave me vague results.

Fanboi

Reaction score
Credits
Sadly I've been down this avenue. The best I found was Pine phones, but their specs are terrible for the price. Still, 10/10 for finding so many vendors. More than I found. This is a worthy sticky IMO. You could just keep adding vendors to the OP as the list grows!

OP
SpongebobFan1994

SpongebobFan1994

Reaction score
Credits
While the BSDs have a much smaller userbase because they have tighter communities, I wonder if there's any devices running them? From what I looked up, the iPhone was based FreeBSD, and there's an article talking about NetBSD being highly portable.

Fanboi

Reaction score
Credits
IDK what iOS is based on, but part of MacOS's core is Darwin which is open source BSD-derived (liberal licensing). You can get a pure version of Darwin, too, but IDK how useable it is. FreeBSD is the most friendly of the three base OSes (linke Linux distros, there are multiple spins). BSD coreutils are available for Linux as well and you can replace some GNU utils entirely with them. Or run a FreeBSD kernel in a Debian userspace (to unknown ends).

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online