naming custom shell command

prolink007

Reaction score
Credits
I have a custom shell that i am implementing. I am trying to keep the commands for that shell close to what people are used to for a normal linux shell. I am having a hard time finding any naming convention style guide, so i am seeking assistance here.

I want to list all the toys associated with this running instance of the shell. What would be a good command name for that? My initial thought is the command would be called `lstoys` which means, list all toys. However, i really want to know what the common practice is for this type of thing.

I don't think there is an explict "name your tool like this" guide. POSIX and GNU both offer basic standardization guides.

As always, I would give components meaningful names.

If by "toys" you mean utilities, you can often hit tab twice and then confirm with a 'y' or 'n' to display all available commands. Alternatively, you could make a help or list-utils command.

I don't think there is an explict "name your tool like this" guide. POSIX and GNU both offer basic standardization guides.

As always, I would give components meaningful names.

If by "toys" you mean utilities, you can often hit tab twice and then confirm with a 'y' or 'n' to display all available commands. Alternatively, you could make a help or list-utils command.
I mean from a usability stand point. What would be a good command name for `listing toys`? `lstoys', `ls-toys`, `ls toys`, `list-toys`, `list toys`...etc

I mean from a usability stand point. What would be a good command name for `listing toys`? `lstoys', `ls-toys`, `ls toys`, `list-toys`, `list toys`...etc

I don't think any of them quite articulate what the command actually lists... Most commands would be similar to lstoys. You should never put a space in a utility/commands name.

I don't think any of them quite articulate what the command actually lists... Most commands would be similar to lstoys. You should never put a space in a utility/commands name.
Why do you think that `lstoys` does not articulate what the command lists?

Is this a command that you're thinking of submitting to the Linux Foundation for adding to all GNU/Linux distros or just something for your own computer? If it's just your own computer, then name it whatever you want. If it's for a larger audience, then make sure describes what it does. I'd assume lstoys lists some sort of collection of toys. If so, then I'm sure that's good enough.

Members online