naming custom shell command

prolink007

Reaction score
Credits
I have a custom shell that i am implementing. I am trying to keep the commands for that shell close to what people are used to for a normal linux shell. I am having a hard time finding any naming convention style guide, so i am seeking assistance here.

I want to list all the toys associated with this running instance of the shell. What would be a good command name for that? My initial thought is the command would be called `lstoys` which means, list all toys. However, i really want to know what the common practice is for this type of thing.

I don't think there is an explict "name your tool like this" guide. POSIX and GNU both offer basic standardization guides.

As always, I would give components meaningful names.

If by "toys" you mean utilities, you can often hit tab twice and then confirm with a 'y' or 'n' to display all available commands. Alternatively, you could make a help or list-utils command.

I don't think there is an explict "name your tool like this" guide. POSIX and GNU both offer basic standardization guides.

As always, I would give components meaningful names.

If by "toys" you mean utilities, you can often hit tab twice and then confirm with a 'y' or 'n' to display all available commands. Alternatively, you could make a help or list-utils command.
I mean from a usability stand point. What would be a good command name for `listing toys`? `lstoys', `ls-toys`, `ls toys`, `list-toys`, `list toys`...etc

I mean from a usability stand point. What would be a good command name for `listing toys`? `lstoys', `ls-toys`, `ls toys`, `list-toys`, `list toys`...etc

I don't think any of them quite articulate what the command actually lists... Most commands would be similar to lstoys. You should never put a space in a utility/commands name.

I don't think any of them quite articulate what the command actually lists... Most commands would be similar to lstoys. You should never put a space in a utility/commands name.
Why do you think that `lstoys` does not articulate what the command lists?

Is this a command that you're thinking of submitting to the Linux Foundation for adding to all GNU/Linux distros or just something for your own computer? If it's just your own computer, then name it whatever you want. If it's for a larger audience, then make sure describes what it does. I'd assume lstoys lists some sort of collection of toys. If so, then I'm sure that's good enough.

Members online

Latest posts