Naomi Brockwell talks with an expert about VPNs

Yeah, do your research before you pick a VPN. Keep in mind price and privacy policy. You should also consider things like country or origin. If it's free or low-cost, you're likely just giving yet another party your private information. (That's perfectly fine for some uses, like say watching BBC content while outside the country.)

I installed once the Proton VPN because was free and people say good things about that company, but I never used it because it is slow. It works well with Debian, it also get updates... They don't mention Proton VPN in the video at all

I installed once the Proton VPN because was free and people say good things about that company, but I never used it because it is slow. It works well with Debian, it also get updates... They don't mention Proton VPN in the video at all

I haven't really read anything about Proton but I'd be reasonably confident that they do what they say they're going to do. So, if they say it's encrypted and they don't keep logs, I'd be inclined to believe them.

I'd also consider their free service to be an advertisement for their paid service. I'd not be so confident about others, and definitely not with the majority. As mentioned above, if it's free or low cost, you're likely just giving yet another party your personal information.

But, Proton has secure offerings like their free email - which is limited (like the VPN) as a way to advertise their paid services AND, and this is important, they have a stellar reputation. I believe they've also been audited but that may just be for their email services.

So, yeah, I'd trust their free offers - likely artificially slow or overwhelmed with users - as being basically ads for their paid products.

If you're curious, I settled on NordVPN, but I really can't stand their marketing. They pretend a VPN is some sort of great security tool, which a VPN can be, but that's not how folks are really using it. Sure, it encrypts your content and sends your content through a different server, but folks are still logging into sites on the other side...

VPN is a great tool when you do things like mandate a VPN connection so that you can limit access based on an IP address. For example, you could have a server with private information on it and the only way to login to that server would be if you were using a specific IP address, an address provided by a VPN.

Man this is longer than I expected it to be...

Ah well...

Members online