Nasty Security flaw in Systemd

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
They have discovered a nasty security flaw in systemd which affects all Distros using it.
Read more here.
Systemd security

I Can confirm that Mint has patched it. :)

It's all good.
The patch is sitting in the Update Manager waiting to be installed.

It arrived here this morning, possibly an hour ago....so 4.50AM (Sydney time Australia)

systemd patch.png

Do you know when this happened ?
I received the update to systemd this morning. I suppose it's been patched in ubuntu LTS also but not sure if that's where the mint update came from. I see that Debian also patched today see Here Debian patch

The security lads have been busy !!

""Systemd is used in almost all modern Linux distributions. This particular security hole arrived in the systemd code in April 2015.""

Pity they didn't pay attention 6 years ago?

Better late than never

Perhaps of interest is an Updated Kernel just arrived in update manager Linux Mint 20.2 (Cinnamon)

It has no changelog.....quite unusual......perhaps it was rushed through?

I will be taking a Timeshift snapshot before installing that one....if I install it.

Ubuntu 20.04.2 and Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce patch installed zero problems.

(from HERE)

The Debian Project also released today a security update for the systemd package to address CVE-2021-33910, a memory corruption vulnerability discovered by Qualys Research Labs where an attacker-controlled allocation using the alloca() function could crash systemd and the entire operating system.

Make sure that you also update the systemd package to version 241-7~deb10u8. To update your Debian GNU/Linux installations, run the sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade command in a terminal emulator or use your favorite graphical package manager.

Great minds think alike!!

Updates installed today, just goes to show how important keeping your system up to date is.
t2020.gif

Updates installed today, just goes to show how important keeping your system up to date is.
t2020.gif
Yes I wish everyone believed and acted upon that premise :)

Yes, woudn't it be luvverly! (from the musical).....somewhat unlikely but it would be good to see

The windows habits die hard. Pretend the updates are not there and perhaps they will go away !

Members online