National Radio Day

• Thread starter Deleted member 101831
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 101831

National Radio Day – August 20, 2021

Radio was once one of the most incredible technologies on Earth
Really? When exactly did that change? lol This would would be broken without it!

As a ham radio guy, tinkerer, and lover of Astronomy and Physics. This stuff is always right up my alley. I normally read books and listen to lectures on these subjects often, but recently I've been listening to audio books during my commute to work about many of the scientists who made most of this possible.

I just finished Faraday, Maxwell, and the Electromagnetic Field: How Two Men Revolutionized Physics. I just started The Quantum Labyrinth: How Richard Feynman and John Wheeler Revolutionized Time and Reality.

While I'm not ready to give a recommendation to The Quantum Labyrinth yet (just started it) the Faraday and Maxwell book is really good and the narrator is fantastic. Michael Faraday, James Clerk Maxwell, Richard Feynman, and John Wheeler are four towers of Physics and many people do not even know their name. Without their discoveries, your life today would be a completely different place.

Radio one of my favorite things. Been a Amateur Radio op since 1966, SWL listener before that. Love working with antennas ETC. But not limited to AM only :)

Thanks for the reminder though. Have a happy radio day! :)

Radio one of my favorite things. Been a Amateur Radio op since 1966, SWL listener before that. Love working with antennas ETC. But not limited to AM only :)

Thanks for the reminder though. Have a happy radio day! :)
Yes, but the fidelity that AM produces is just such a beautiful thing!

I have a few old vacuum tube table radios that my grandparents had nothing fancy just basic old table radios.

They all work however are in need of recapping as the electrolytic capacitors are the old wax and paper ones and need replacing.

I've slowly powered them on using a variac and the old "dim bulb tester" in case of shorts fortunately just 60 cycle hum.

I learned how to work on vacuum tube radios from a how to troubleshoot and repair vacuum tube radio books.

I've also acquired some test equipment.
VOM
VTVM
VARIAC
Tube Tester
HP Oscilloscope
An isolation transformer.

I have a few old vacuum tube table radios that my grandparents had nothing fancy just basic old table radios.

They all work however are in need of recapping as the electrolytic capacitors are the old wax and paper ones and need replacing.

I've slowly powered them on using a variac and the old "dim bulb tester" in case of shorts fortunately just 60 cycle hum.

I learned how to work on vacuum tube radios from a how to troubleshoot and repair vacuum tube radio books.

VOM
VTVM
VARIAC
Tube Tester
HP Oscilloscope
Nice collection of test equipment. I've got a nice electronics bench, but one thing I was missing was a VTVM. I wanted one primarily for frequency alignment purposes when working on old equipment. I recently picked up a Heathkit IM-28 off eBay to restore it for this purpose.

Though, I'm currently building a clone of the 1957 Fender Custom Deluxe (5E3 schematic) amplifier. I also have a half-built Warmoth guitar I still need to finish. Once I get the guitar and amp completed, I intend to restore the Heathkit.

VOM
VTVM
VARIAC
Tube Tester
HP Oscilloscope
And vacuum tubes have what is called head room which allow greater fidelity Many audio files have gone back to vacuum tubes for amps. I have found memories of dismantling old radios and TV to get parts to build my Transmitters in the old days. 6L6 tube was a favorite 807's also good.

I'm not saying I don't like listening to the radio per-se, but I just see it as a distraction when driving and not being personalized by design. While I'm all for smooth jazz, there's very few stations in the Chicago area that play it (WNUA seemed to be THE station for it back in the day). Because of that, I'd rather just get a small stereo and play physical releases of jazz.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts