Need advice on switching

T

Tom S

Hi I'm new to the forum and the world of Linux. So I am looking for advice on whether I could and should use Linux.

I am currently running windows 8 on a Samsung NP350V5C Notebook. So first I have a load of old games that I just can't get to work on Windows 8 (this is where I confess to not being that much of a computer "whizz", however its not beyond me). Old versions of games like total war, sim city, heroes of might and magic. These games are just so much better than their modern day equivalents. So would I be able to run these on Linux?

The second thing I use my laptop (a lot) for is live streaming. So I use programs like ace stream, stream torrent, sopcast or just flash links through wiziwig. Are these compatible with Linux?

I would run it as a dual operating system but I am just sick of the whole Windows crap, I just read about the forthcoming release of Windows 10. Then there's the whole subscribing and paying monthly for stuff like Office which they are moving towards. I'm not stupid and I see them as vultures so ideally want to wean myself off...

Welcome to the community.

For the older games you can look at wine. Here is the database of programs running on wine and how they perform:
https://appdb.winehq.org/
(use the search at the top. :))

For streaming I can see that Ace Stream has a Linux version, Stream torrent can be done with vlc (and node.js), Sopcast appears to have a Linux version and Flash 11.2 is available for Firefox and 15 pepperflash is on chrome/chromium.

Welcome to the community.

For the older games you can look at wine. Here is the database of programs running on wine and how they perform:

(use the search at the top. :))

For streaming I can see that Ace Stream has a Linux version, Stream torrent can be done with vlc (and node.js), Sopcast appears to have a Linux version and Flash 11.2 is available for Firefox and 15 pepperflash is on chrome/chromium.

Thanks Ryan. Looks like I should be good to go. I will certainly be giving it a try!

Thanks Ryan. Looks like I should be good to go. I will certainly be giving it a try!
Welcome!..... ^^ Might I recommend, by way of Distros, Kubuntu, or Mint.....? Also, look up Spatry on YouTube..... :D Like all the others here, I look forward to being here to help you..... :3

~Namaste

Members online