Need help getting past Facebook Two-Factor without a phone

As far as I know Facebook doesn’t force you to use a phone for 2FA. You could use a self hosted version of Bitwarden (or the ridiculously cheap “premium” version) and do everything from the browser. You just need to set up an Authenticator of the totp kind. You don’t even need to scan a qr code as most services allow you to manually copy the seed key.

Your problem may be a completely different one, and it has nothing to do with you not having a phone for whatever reason.

If a service suddenly asks your for a code, then the chances are 99% that someone else took over your account and enabled 2FA.

Last edited:

As far as I know Facebook doesn’t force you to use a phone for 2FA.
There are three ways of doing the now mandatory 2FA on FB. The first is through an app such as Google Authenticator or Duo Mobile. The second is receiving a confirmation code via SMS and the third is using a physical security key.
You could use a self hosted version of Bitwarden (or the ridiculously cheap “premium” version) and go everything from the browser. You just need to set up an Authenticator of the totp kind. You don’t even need to scan a qr code as most services allow you to manually copy the seed key.
OK, this looks like option one? I have created an account on Bitwarden, but I don't understand how to link it to Facebook and then use the TOTP from Facebook to generate a confirmation code in Bitwarden. If that's how it's supposed to work?
Your problem may be a completely different one, and it has nothing to do with you not having a phone for whatever reason.
Not sure what you are thinking about here.
If a service suddenly asks your for a code, then 99% someone else took over your account and enabled 2FA.
OK. This hasn't happened here.

The free version of Bitwarden doesn’t support TOTP generators, you need to get the paid version. You can also use keepassxc on your computer.

Once you get the authenticator (one of the above), you need to copy the Otp generator key once you get to set up your 2FA in Facebook, instead of scanning the QR code.

I mean, select the Google authenticator option and copy the seed instead of scanning the qr.

TOTP is a standard that works in so many applications like Google authenticator but also Bitwarden (self-hosted or paid) or Keepassxc.

I mean, select the Google authenticator option and copy the seed instead of scanning the qr.

TOTP is a standard that works in so many applications like Google authenticator but also Bitwarden (self-hosted or paid) or Keepassxc.
THANK YOU!

I have now managed to install Keepassxc and use it so that I am now back on Facebook!

Members online

Latest posts