Need help installing ubuntu.I am running windows 8

• Thread starter Help me please!
  • Start date
H

Help me please!

Hey,
I need help, and I would appreciate if someone could guide me through the solution.
I am currently running windows 8 on my desktop pc, and I want to make a partition and install ubuntu on it, but it has become more difficult than I thought it would be. When I get one to work,the other one stops working. Does anyone know a simple way to do it?
Right now, neither of them is working!
Please helppp!

Hi Newby,
The easiest way is to first stabilize the windows 8 you have installed. Then decide what distro of Linux you want, I use Kunbuntu Kde desktop a desktop of Ubuntu 12.10.
Once you decide what Linux you want, download the live cd/dvd and burn the Iso to disk. Make sure your Bios is set to boot from cd/dvd disk before the Hdd and then boot the machine with the disk in the cd/devd drive. Let it load and it will take you to a screen where you can try the distro before installing it. If you like it check install and it will take you to a Gparted screen where you can select "manually" the size of the Linux partition you want install to. Be sure you make the Linux partition with the gparted installer as home. (/) the forward slash must be on linux partition and after you select the size reduce it to allow about 9 or 10 gb at the end and mark it with the gparted installer as a linux swap file. Click on continue and it will install and just before the end of the install it will set up a (grub) file so that you can choose between Windows and Linux when you reboot.
The only suggestion I can give you is that Linux does not like high end graphic cards such as mine which is a Nvidia 550ti 3d. I had to use a old graphics card to install and then find in the new operating system - additional drivers- and downloaded and installed the newest Nvidia driver, then on reboot, I put the new Ti card back in and all was well.
There is no such thing as easy unless you hire a tech to do it for you. EdWh you can further instructions on installing by searching the web before you jump in.

Members online