Need help installing wifi drivers for Ubuntu 20.04

vrrivaro

Reaction score
Credits
The network card is a TP-LINK TL-WN881ND. I have previously used it successfully on that same computer under Ubuntu 19.04, but when I upgraded it it ceased to work.

I have the CD that came with the card. It simply directs Linux users to the company website, which then directs you to compile driver. Problem is, my machine is a fresh installed box, with no gcc, git, make, dkms, and perhaps other things. Is there any way for me to get those tools, and then do the compilation?

What measures can I take in order to keep this from happening again?

Thanks!

Can you connect by Ethernet?

No, I have tried that.

Actually, I can, but the only other box I could connect to is a small notebook (a Toshiba NB505) that's so old and has so little memory that I disabled the ethernet port to save some, and now I cannot use it since I totally forgot how to re enable it.

I had a similar problem recently. Sometimes, it can be easy. Before you tackle compiling and all that mess, try this. Open a terminal and enter:
Code:
ubuntu-drivers devices
It will run for a bit, then it will present some drivers specific to your hardware. It may even indicate that a driver is available for install. That's what i found after wasting time with my wifi card's mising driver.
If a driver is recommended, use:
Code:
sudo apt install <name of driver>
If it doesn't list a driver, then come back.

No, that did not work either. It only recommends one for my nVidia GeForce GT 710 card (GK208B driver). I am perfectly happy with the distro builtin xserver-org-video-noveau driver for now.

Anyway, even if it did, without Internet access I cannot access the APT database, not even to install the required compilation chain of tools, which is not installed right now.

Try this:
Code:
sudo find / -iname rtl8192*

Members online