Need help on a potential new Linux user.....

B

blackneos940

So I met this older lady from my Bible Study, and she wants me to put Linux on her Laptop, which has XP and 7 (she would like to try to keep 7)..... :) So, long story short, before we even get to the possibility of removing 7 AND XP (ohdeargodplzyes), I need to know what Distro would be best for her..... :) I went to Ubuntu, after using 7, and XP BEFORE that, on an old Dell from like, 2003 or somethin'..... :3 She also wants to be able to run a Bible studying Program thingy that came out around 98 or so, and if I can run 3D Pinball Space Cadet in WINE (LOVE that game), should I be able to run THAT Program as well, under Linux.....? She doesn't need much, doesn't want to play Facebook Games or the most popular Windoze Games (which have been hard to do on your typical garden variety Linux Distro)..... So, suffice to say, Ubuntu IS one of my choices..... :) I told her of Kubuntu (since it's default interface reminds me of 7), but she says she wants something that's not flashy, but simple, when I told her of the Holy and Divine Wobbbly Windows..... :3 So, my thoughts are now down to this: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Puppy, andddd..... Care to fill in the blanks.....? :3 Thanks so much guys..... :) I mean it..... It also excites me to no end when I convert someone to Linux or some other FOSS alternative to Windows..... :3 Or even Libre Office..... :3 Gee, I sure Love gradients.....

Last edited:

If the Bible study program doesn't run in Wine, you might also try DOSbox. I've had some luck with DOSbox running an old 16-bit program that refused to run in Windows.

I think my suggestions would be Mint (MATE edition), Lubuntu, and LXLE.

Good luck setting her up. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

As far the simplicity, Xubuntu or Lubuntu come to mind.

Unity can be a heavy environment.

As far the simplicity, Xubuntu or Lubuntu come to mind.

Unity can be a heavy environment.

Like before, I didn't think of these two (despite the fact that I use Kubuntu with LXDE as well, on top of a few other Desktop Environments, on my green Dell 1420)..... XD Yeah, she might like those as well..... :) TO YUMI!!!!!

If the Bible study program doesn't run in Wine, you might also try DOSbox. I've had some luck with DOSbox running an old 16-bit program that refused to run in Windows.

I think my suggestions would be Mint (MATE edition), Lubuntu, and LXLE.

Good luck setting her up. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

I'll look into DOSbox..... :) Also I'll let you guys know how it goes..... :3 I might go for Mint as well, but the only issue I've had was getting the Software Repos set up..... Now, if a lightly seasoned Linux user can get Ubuntu Repos set up, why is it so hard to get Mint's Repos set up, when in fact, it WAS based on Ubuntu.....? :( TO VIRTUALBOX.....!!!! :D

The Ubuntu's christian edition is probably your best bet, just change the DE to her liking. I run it on one of my laptops specifically to use the E-Sword application that's pre installed on the iso. E-sword is one of the best bible study software out there and my favourite. E-Sword is free for Windows but the Linux version cost you. Ubuntuce its included free. It's more powerful and does more than you'll ever imagine. She will love it. You can check it out at http://www.e-sword.net.

The Ubuntu's christian edition is probably your best bet, just change the DE to her liking. I run it on one of my laptops specifically to use the E-Sword application that's pre installed on the iso. E-sword is one of the best bible study software out there and my favourite. E-Sword is free for Windows but the Linux version cost you. Ubuntuce its included free. It's more powerful and does more than you'll ever imagine. She will love it. You can check it out at http://www.e-sword.net.
Thank you for that reccomendation..... :) But, why do they charge on Linux, and not on Windows.....? Seems odd..... :\

I don't see on their website where they offer a Linux version at all. So I'd guess that the Ubuntu Christian edition runs the Windows version with Wine. It looks like a nice app though, if your Bible study friend is willing to try something new.

1. If you were to keep searching the internet you will find the Linux version like I did.
2. No, its not an app you would run in wine.
3. I don't know why they charged for the Linux version maybe it was a third party that converted it over either way its included in Ubuntuce.
4. I you want me to tell you more about E-Sword PM me.

1. If you were to keep searching the internet you will find the Linux version like I did.
2. No, its not an app you would run in wine.
3. I don't know why they charged for the Linux version maybe it was a third party that converted it over either way its included in Ubuntuce.
4. I you want me to tell you more about E-Sword PM me.

Are you referring to "CrossOver Linux" ? That is the only pay-for app that I see related to E-Sword. Everything else that I find quickly refers to running it under Wine.

I don't recall it was a couple years ago when I was looking. If memory serves the cost would have been $35. Ubuntu has it so the next time I install it, regardless of my distro, I'm going to pull it from Ubuntu repository and convert it.

I don't recall it was a couple years ago when I was looking. If memory serves the cost would have been $35. Ubuntu has it so the next time I install it, regardless of my distro, I'm going to pull it from Ubuntu repository and convert it.

OK, only you know for sure what you have installed. I can only guess.

But for anyone interested, CrossOver Linux is a proprietary program that is based on Wine, and it does the same thing as Wine: it runs Windows programs. It has some extra code added that allows it to be proprietary and charge a price. It's up to $60 now, but discounts can be found, such as here: https://www.codeweavers.com/via/e-sword (This link found searching for E-Sword, which CrossOver Linux obviously supports.)

Codeweavers is the company that develops CrossOver Linux, but even more than that... they are also deeply invoved with the Wine Project and help support it, including hosting winehq.org on their servers. It seems like a very good relationship between them, even though they have created a profit-making offshoot from the open source Wine.

My "guess" above was that Ubuntu Christian edition provides E-Sword with Wine, and that is still my guess. There is no reason to pirate proprietary software, which would be a very un-Christian thing to do. Wine is freely available, and it should do the same thing.

Cheers!

On ubuntuce E-sword is not running under wine. I'll reload it to verify. I dd'd the drive to install Gentoo but I'll dd't again I guess.

Last edited:
On ubuntuce E-sword is not running under wine. I'll reload it to verify. I dd'd the drive to install Gentoo but I'll dd't again I guess.

Don't go to a lot of trouble. I'm not sure what our difference is here, but it isn't that important. I downloaded the 64-bit Ubuntu Christian Edition from the link @ryanvade gave and ran it as a live DVD. E-Sword is not installed there, although there are 3 other Bible study guides (BibleTime, BibleMemorizer, and Xiphos Bible Guide).

All three of the Bible apps want to use a "sword.api" from the Crosswire Bible Society. I don't think Crosswire is related to CrossOver Linux though. The sword.api comes from The SWORD Project. The SWORD Project and E-Sword are different, but both are free, and Wikipedia thinks these two projects are often confused.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Sword
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SWORD_Project

BTW, the Christian Edition is very nice, and I have a friend that I will give this DVD. I'm sure he will like it also.

Cheers!

https://www.codeweavers.com/via/e-sword
It may have been Crossover solution for Linux. I fount the above link.

I don't remember ever setting up wine to use it. I used my windows version most the time, because I have years of notes. I replaced all my windows laptops with Linux a while back, so that E-sword is gone. When looking for a system to reload Ubuntuce I came across a old laptop from 2006 that had XP/e-sword on it with most my notes.

I'll reload it anyway but the 64bit iso. I'll let you know the results.

https://www.codeweavers.com/via/e-sword
It may have been Crossover solution for Linux. I fount the above link.

I don't remember ever setting up wine to use it. I used my windows version most the time, because I have years of notes. I replaced all my windows laptops with Linux a while back, so that E-sword is gone. When looking for a system to reload Ubuntuce I came across a old laptop from 2006 that had XP/e-sword on it with most my notes.

I'll reload it anyway but the 64bit iso. I'll let you know the results.

OK, that helps both of us to understand it better, I think. CrossOver Linux is designed to make using Wine easier... you don't even know that it what it is doing. So, you're right... you did not have to setup Wine. I read a nice review of it on ZDnet too. There may be some cases where CrossOver will run some Windows apps that Wine may not due to that extra proprietary code that they use.

I've reinstalled it. The Xiphos Bible Guide uses the Sword modules but you have to install them. Modules are basically books, bibles, commentary's, dictionaries, etc... I setup a few from remote location (crossosver) for test purposes its not quite menu driven but will display directions. Kind of like Windows version of E-sword you add what mods/books u want. I have not figured out how to go back and add more books yet, have not looked yet, so add all you want the first time. Like I said I didnt remember setting up Wine before and I didn't this time. I don't really know if its running on Wine or not I didn't go that deep. There is an icon on the menu bar for Wine tricks though. I still like it better installed on windows, perhaps a full install on Wine might be better.
The 64bit Ubuntuce didn't find my Arch install, didn't load lvm2, didn't offer to load side by side or let me setup lvm. I installed lvm2 on the live iso boot, but It wouldn't carry over to the install Ubuntuce screen. I don't know how to get to a text install on Ubuntu. Also, I probably should have changed my sources before the update, because it was a log frustrating install. I could have loaded Arch faster than this took, but I'm more use to it.

I've reinstalled it. The Xiphos Bible Guide uses the Sword modules but you have to install them. Modules are basically books, bibles, commentary's, dictionaries, etc... I setup a few from remote location (crossosver) for test purposes its not quite menu driven but will display directions. Kind of like Windows version of E-sword you add what mods/books u want. I have not figured out how to go back and add more books yet, have not looked yet, so add all you want the first time. Like I said I didnt remember setting up Wine before and I didn't this time. I don't really know if its running on Wine or not I didn't go that deep. There is an icon on the menu bar for Wine tricks though. I still like it better installed on windows, perhaps a full install on Wine might be better.
The 64bit Ubuntuce didn't find my Arch install, didn't load lvm2, didn't offer to load side by side or let me setup lvm. I installed lvm2 on the live iso boot, but It wouldn't carry over to the install Ubuntuce screen. I don't know how to get to a text install on Ubuntu. Also, I probably should have changed my sources before the update, because it was a log frustrating install. I could have loaded Arch faster than this took, but I'm more use to it.

Yeah, I didn't see if those other study guides were running in Wine or not, but I also saw the Wine Tricks so I knew it was installed with the live iso. I didn't download any modules so I didn't really experiment with the apps themselves either. But overall it was a nice edition and I'm sure @blackneos940 's friend might enjoy it too.

Arch is one I haven't really tried yet. Have to do that one of these days!

Cheers!

Members online

Latest posts