Need help picking a 35mm slide scanner for Linux

DMLinux

Reaction score
Credits
Can anyone suggest a 35mm slide scanner that is confirmed to work with Linux? I have A LOT of slides (14+ Carousel trays and 11 or 12 index trays) to scan for preservation. I have both Canon and Epson flat bed scanners that have slide and film attachments, but according to the SANE database, the Canon is not supported and the Epson is not "confirmed" even though drivers are available. I have not bothered to try either one. I am not concerned about bundled software - I won't be doing much editing other than basic color correction. I don't want to spend $400 for a dedicated slide scanner and then find out that it is Windows/Mac only. If you or someone you know has been successful scanning slides with Linux, please let me know what is in use. And I can be distro-agnostic for this project. If there is one particular distro that is well suited for photo work, please pass that on too. This is going to be a several moths to maybe a year or two project.

Thank you all!

Moved to the 'hardware' sub-forum.

I did some quick searching, and there are a ton of results for people scanning slides with Linux. So, if nobody here has experience, there's quite a lot of reading material already out there.

Moved to the 'hardware' sub-forum.

I did some quick searching, and there are a ton of results for people scanning slides with Linux. So, if nobody here has experience, there's quite a lot of reading material already out there.
Than you! I did spend a short time searching, but maybe didn't use the right terms because I did not find anything useful.

I used "slide scan +linux" as my search terms. The first page was full of results, some of which name brands and models. So, that's all I've got for you - as I've never done it.

OK, you just showed me something. I see a space before your "+" sign.

I'm not even sure if the + matters anymore, but I still use it. It sets that keyword as a priority. If you put it in quotes, it (should) means 'must include'.

Members online