need help please!

Ron B

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I have a satalite L7750-S7340 it came with windows 7 installed and i put on linux 17 mint along side. all was fine till the windows update to 10 . the mint 17 is outdated and I tried to update the mint side with 19.3 and it wont open now . how do I just update the 19.3 over a bad install over 17 mint? when the startup goes it says debbie but wont start up I can get to the windows 10 ok can you help me please with a step by step install guide thanks RSVP Ps I hope you understand my meanderings;-)

Report Edit Delete

what do you mean it won't open? are you using grub as your bootloader?

Hi I have a satalite L7750-S7340 it came with windows 7 installed and i put on linux 17 mint along side. all was fine till the windows update to 10 . the mint 17 is outdated and I tried to update the mint side with 19.3 and it wont open now . how do I just update the 19.3 over a bad install over 17 mint? when the startup goes it says debbie but wont start up I can get to the windows 10 ok can you help me please with a step by step install guide thanks RSVP Ps I hope you understand my meanderings;-)

Report Edit Delete
Greetings @Ron B,
Welcome to the Linux forum!
If I understand your problem correctly, you are able to boot up Windows 10 and use it; is that correct?
If it is correct, then go to this site - https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/ - and read it carefully. Then read it again until you are sure of each step you must take to dual boot Linux Mint 19.3 alongside Windows 10.
Let me stress this - make sure you digest what you are learning on that site. The instructions are clear and understandable so please take the time to understand it.
Believe me, it will save you a lot of headaches if you do this.
Once again,
Welcome! From the Old Geezer - Tango Charlie

Greetings @Ron B,
If I understand your problem correctly, you are able to boot up Windows 10 and use it; is that correct?
If it is correct, then go to this site - https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/ - and read it carefully. Then read it again until you are sure of each step you must take to dual boot Linux Mint 19.3 alongside Windows 10.
Let me stress this - make sure you digest what you are learning on that site. The instructions are clear and understandable so please take the time to understand it.
Once again,
yes and had the mint 17 along side duel booted. I tried to up date to Linux 19.3 and when I was done the linux side didn't open but showed to be on 4 options 2 being windows 10 I can open windows but not linux it says Debbie version. but wont load

@Ron B
Sometimes there is a problem when trying to update. What I have found that works best for me is to replace your old Linux Mint 17 with 91.3 instead of updating. It takes a little more time but works better.

the 17 was overwritten with the update 19.3 but the install didnt work and wont open just says 4 options the first say s Debbie and when I click on this it just curser just blinks for a long time and nothing else. has anyone had this problem and what to do now? the other options are to open windows 10

I think you cannot 'upgrade' from Mint 17 to Mint 19. If I recall correctly the Mint blog states that the upgrades generally must go in sequence - 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 18.1, 18.2, 18.3, etc. Oft times one can skip or jump an increment or two but not two whole version releases.

What exactly are the boot options you are being presented with?

My bad I did a clean install on my laptop with a flash drive download of 19.3 I plugged in my laptop today and clicked on the first line and the green linux logo came up and the the screen went dark and has a curser blinking rapidly in the top left corner. could this be its loading the new updates and taking some time to download from my server Hard wired?

Greetings @Ron B,
Once again,
Hello TC, would the above link be appropriate for loading with Win 7? Or a triple boot? Is this the Mint Mate distro?

these are the screen that are on start up the windows 10 is the only one that works. the second one is the debbie recovery options the 3 is one of the recovery trys of the second screen.

Attachments

• 20200417_135435.jpg
    20200417_135435.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 20200417_135609.jpg
    20200417_135609.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 437
  • 20200417_140732.jpg
    20200417_140732.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 454
these are the screen that are on start up the windows 10 is the only one that works. the second one is the debbie recovery options the 3 is one of the recovery trys of the second screen.
That's not Linux Mint 19.3 it is Linux Mint Debian Edition 4.
Start over with the appropriate download (unless LMDE4 is what you actually wanted).
Linux Mint 19.3 should install alongside Windows just fine.

The update to Windows 10 probably stepped all over the Grub boot loader.

thanks but the grub loader was ok with the mint 17 edition windows 7 was along side this I upgraded to windows 10 and 17 wasn't upgraded at that time all was well but I wanted to fresh install of Mint 19.3 and you see what happened guess I downloaded the wrong version as you suggested. So I.ll get another try at it with the 64bit mint 19.3 install with usb flash stick! thanks again. Ill let you know if it is successful I hope I dont loose the windows 10 as it is an upgrade from windows 7 ;-) Ron

That sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks TC!
@Ron B
Sometimes there is a problem when trying to update. What I have found that works best for me is to replace your old Linux Mint 17 with 91.3 instead of updating. It takes a little more time but works better.
When replacing a distro, do you remove the previous one or install on top of it? Seems like I read the removal is automatic. Thanks

That sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks TC!

When replacing a distro, do you remove the previous one or install on top of it? Seems like I read the removal is automatic. Thanks

JJ
You do not have to remove the previous OS.
Go back to #4 of this thread and follow the directions there.
OG

Using the bootable media you created restart your laptop and see if you can boot into Linux.

If you can boot into Linux than look for the install Linux icon and than install it next to Windows and see what happens.

Let the installer do the install it will should choose the right place to install grub.

SUCCESS ! All's well the mint 19.3 is set up and working along side of windows 10. My problem was the debian was the wrong install. PS I did have to load some key board and mouse drivers as 19.3 did not recognize the laptop keyboard and on board mouse! All's well now just a hiccup and we're good to go thanks for everyone's help sincerely, Ron B

Make sure you install the updates on your new installed Linux distro.

Linux Mint should have a shield in the lower right hand corner with a blue dot in the center of the shield when updates become available.

Also go into settings and enable GUFW which is the firewall.

Glad you had a success and enjoy your Linux.

Members online