Need HELP to install Ubuntu Linux

mag-manoj

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys, i'm currently looking to change my OS to Ubuntu Linux. My laptop has both SSD and HDD. If I install my ubuntu linux on SSD, will it leave the files as they're now on HDD. Also, my biggest concern is, will I be able to access my files on HDD, once I installed Ubuntu on SSD? Please guys, I'm freaking out here. Also, if my question is too dumb, sorry for that. I'm very new to this Linux environment. Thanks in advance :)

yes would be the simple answer . on accessing files i'm currently here on a live OS and i can still access files on laptop hd, sd etc.

The only question would be if the HDD has other Linux OS installed then you might want to boot them. Grub2 in theory should be able to do that. Is is the HDD basically just storeage

IS your motherboard uefi or legacy bios

Welcome, you could copy your necessary data to other computer or some other usb card and then install ubuntu on your pc. you will enjoy ubuntu surely.

G'day Mag-manoj, and Welcome to linux.org

Your files will be accessible regardless of whether you put them on a ssd or a hdd

You are "changing" your OS to Linux....What are you changing from ?

yes would be the simple answer . on accessing files i'm currently here on a live OS and i can still access files on laptop hd, sd etc.

The only question would be if the HDD has other Linux OS installed then you might want to boot them. Grub2 in theory should be able to do that. Is is the HDD basically just storeage

IS your motherboard uefi or legacy bios
Hello sir, thank you for your kind reply. My motherboard is uefi type. Also, I don't have any other type of Linux flavors installed in my HDD. Also my HDD is simply an storage unit. My final question would be, if I'm to install Ubuntu in SSD, will the files in HDD be untouched?

G'day Mag-manoj, and Welcome to linux.org

Your files will be accessible regardless of whether you put them on a ssd or a hdd

You are "changing" your OS to Linux....What are you changing from ?
Hello sir, thank you for your kind reply. I'm changing my OS from windows 10 to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

If I understand you correctly, you currently have a Windows sysstem on your SDD and use your HDD for storage. You wan to know whether installing Linux on the SDD will preserve the files on your HDD.
The answer is yes. Assuming you want to replace the Windows OS with Linux, you can install Linux on your system and during the installation process, choose to install to SDD.
The further question for you is whether you'll be able to USE the files on HDD with your newly installed Linux system. You should be able to as long as HDD is formatted in one of the fairly well known formats (FAT, etc.). Obviously you won't be able to run any windows executable files (.exe, etc.) on the Linux system, at least without a virtual machine or an emulator of some kind.
Hope this helps to answer your question.

keith

My final question would be, if I'm to install Ubuntu in SSD, will the files in HDD be untouched?
The BEST way to make sure of this is to unplug the HDD while you are installing Ubuntu on the SSD.
This is basically what khedger said above......except that I usually unplug the spare drive so that is NO possibility of a mistake being made.

khedgers question above is worth some thought before you take the big step..... ""The further question for you is whether you'll be able to USE the files on HDD with your newly installed Linux system. You should be able to as long as HDD is formatted in one of the fairly well known formats (FAT, etc""
So, what is the HDD formatted as ?
Open 'my computer', and right click on the HDD. Select "Properties' from the pop up. The 'File System' should be specified near the top of that properties window.

If you have any .exe files saved on that HDD they will NOT run on Ubuntu.

If I understand you correctly, you currently have a Windows sysstem on your SDD and use your HDD for storage. You wan to know whether installing Linux on the SDD will preserve the files on your HDD.
The answer is yes. Assuming you want to replace the Windows OS with Linux, you can install Linux on your system and during the installation process, choose to install to SDD.
The further question for you is whether you'll be able to USE the files on HDD with your newly installed Linux system. You should be able to as long as HDD is formatted in one of the fairly well known formats (FAT, etc.). Obviously you won't be able to run any windows executable files (.exe, etc.) on the Linux system, at least without a virtual machine or an emulator of some kind.
Hope this helps to answer your question.

keith

Hello sir, your reply really helped me. My HDD is in NTFS format. Also, I'm in no idea to use any .exe files in my Linux system. I completely understood what I have to do. Thank you so much, sir.

The BEST way to make sure of this is to unplug the HDD while you are installing Ubuntu on the SSD.
This is basically what khedger said above......except that I usually unplug the spare drive so that is NO possibility of a mistake being made.

khedgers question above is worth some thought before you take the big step..... ""The further question for you is whether you'll be able to USE the files on HDD with your newly installed Linux system. You should be able to as long as HDD is formatted in one of the fairly well known formats (FAT, etc""
So, what is the HDD formatted as ?
Open 'my computer', and right click on the HDD. Select "Properties' from the pop up. The 'File System' should be specified near the top of that properties window.

If you have any .exe files saved on that HDD they will NOT run on Ubuntu.

Hello sir, thank you for your reply. As I'm using an stock laptop, there is no way I can remove my HDD without tinkering some of my computer parts. But, with some of the previous replies, I'm pretty confident that my contents on HDD will be untouched. Also, my HDD is in NTFS format. I gotta say this, I'm now very confident in putting Ubuntu in my system. It's all because of this community's fast response. Thank you for answering my question sir and I'm looking forward to contact you from an Linux machine.

Members online

Latest posts