Need Help With Screen Saver and Sleep Mode

Snort McDork

Reaction score
Credits
I tried to find help with this before and no one responded. So I'm trying again.

When I walk away from this thing for an extended period, I return to find screen saver does not engage. Can't figure out why. Sometimes it does - even if I am running Gimp.

Additionally, if I am editing photos or writing and want to pick up quickly the following day, I can't get this to go into "sleep" or suspend mode properly. When I try to restart or wake it up, everything is "locked" up/frozen and I have to manually reboot to get it running again. This is frustrating because I have lost work when I've tried to go to sleep mode. I would really like to solve suspend issue. Have no clue as to why it simply locks up and forces me to do a hard shut down and start - meaning power it off.

Don't want to mess with settings since I am fairly new to this OS. Not comfortable yet with making adjustments I'm unfamiliar with.

Any ideas to these matters are greatly appreciated. :cool:

So people here can voice/type a reasonable opinion, which Linux are you running, and model , make, specs etc of the computer you are using, please.

I tried to find help with this before and no one responded. So I'm trying again.

When I walk away from this thing for an extended period, I return to find screen saver does not engage. Can't figure out why. Sometimes it does - even if I am running Gimp.

Additionally, if I am editing photos or writing and want to pick up quickly the following day, I can't get this to go into "sleep" or suspend mode properly. When I try to restart or wake it up, everything is "locked" up/frozen and I have to manually reboot to get it running again. This is frustrating because I have lost work when I've tried to go to sleep mode. I would really like to solve suspend issue. Have no clue as to why it simply locks up and forces me to do a hard shut down and start - meaning power it off.

Don't want to mess with settings since I am fairly new to this OS. Not comfortable yet with making adjustments I'm unfamiliar with.

Any ideas to these matters are greatly appreciated. :cool:
On phone so can't type much.my slackware laptop seems to lock up after a period I just hit ESC on keyboard then space bar that gives me login dialogue box

To the best of my knowledge every Linux with a GUI has a settings menu of some sort. Many of those menus and menu selctions differ, based on the specific distro. So when you get back here please follow Condoblkoke's recommendation and provide specifics.

So people here can voice/type a reasonable opinion, which Linux are you running, and model , make, specs etc of the computer you are using, please.
I'm don't know computer make--it's an off-brand system. But I am running Mint 19.1

Welcome Snort,
You might want to open a terminal and type in this:
inxi -Fzx
Better yet just copy and paste it in terminal. (there is a space between the i and the -F)
That should give you all the info about your computer that would help those who want to help you.
Once again, welcome.
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

I just talked with my neighbor who also runs linux. He gave me a flash drive of Mint 20. He seems to think that upgrading to 20 may solve my issue. I will do this in the next couple of days or so.

I hope the ISO on the flash drive has been verified

You will need to have backups of your work and anything else you need to save on your 19.1

You can choose to upgrade from 19.3 to 20

Read HERE & HERE

Good Luck

DE means Desktop Environment

On linux mint 19.1 there are three choices...

Cinnamon
Mate
XFCE

If you downloaded the most used version of Linux Mint, you probably got Cinnamon

Run this command in the terminal.
It will show you what DE you have.
$DESKTOP_SESSION

Members online

Latest posts