Need some advice on what Linux Distro to choose

kneelix

Reaction score
Credits
Sorry to bother everyone but I'm trying to determine what Linux distro to use on an old HP Desktop dc5700, 1GB ram, and 80 GB hard drive.
I'm just starting to learn Linux and would like to put this old desktop to use.

Any advice and help would be very helpful and appreciated!

Thanks!

kneelix

Give Linux Lite a try. They also have an older 32 bit version if needed.

Thank you very much for the help. Much appreciated! Downloading it now and will give it a try.

Thanks again,
kneelix

You can give Bodhi a try. Although, if you select something other than the Legacy version, it can become as big as any Linux distro, but it seems to work very well on a variety of lightweight computers and the moldy-oldy hardware, too. I;m using it right now on my older Toshiba laptop, and it definitely does NOT strain the 2GB RAM or Celeron 2840 CPU that it has.

Sorry to bother everyone but I'm trying to determine what Linux distro to use on an old HP Desktop dc5700, 1GB ram, and 80 GB hard drive.

Thanks!

kneelix
1. WINBUNTU 2020
2. PORTEUS SLACKWARELINUX
3. LUBUNTU
4.LINUX LITE
5.ENDLESS OS
6.KNOPPIX LINUX
7. Devuan GNU+Linux
8.LXLE LINUX
9.PEPPER MINT OS
10.REACTOS LINUX
11. Puppy Linux
12. 4 DIFFERENT DISTRIBUTION XFCE DESKTOP INTERFACES( XUBUNTU - PARDUS - LINUX MINT - ARCHMAN )

Highly effective systems for delivering 1 GB RAM and above devices

Thanks for this. Might just use this one on my old Dell 610 laptop. Trying to get some use out of these old PC's plus I will be the only one who can use them (hopefully!).

Thank you,
Kneelix
I hope it works for you. Zorin keeps a good consistently reliable distro, some others get worse after major changes to new releases.

You can give Bodhi a try. Although, if you select something other than the Legacy version, it can become as big as any Linux distro, but it seems to work very well on a variety of lightweight computers and the moldy-oldy hardware, too. I;m using it right now on my older Toshiba laptop, and it definitely does NOT strain the 2GB RAM or Celeron 2840 CPU that it has.
Thank you for the tip. I'm going to try a couple of distros to see what works best for me. Will give this one a try for sure.

Thanks again,
Kneelix

1. WINBUNTU 2020
2. PORTEUS SLACKWARELINUX
3. LUBUNTU
4.LINUX LITE
5.ENDLESS OS
6.KNOPPIX LINUX
7. Devuan GNU+Linux
8.LXLE LINUX
9.PEPPER MINT OS
10.REACTOS LINUX
11. Puppy Linux
12. 4 DIFFERENT DISTRIBUTION XFCE DESKTOP INTERFACES( XUBUNTU - PARDUS - LINUX MINT - ARCHMAN )
Hey,

Thank you very much for the list! I've got 3 old desktops and 1 old laptop so I am going to try a few different distros and see which one works the best for me. I'm just learning and this will keep me busy now that we can't go to work! Definitely won't get bored.

Thank you,
Kneelix

I'm sorry for the work situation, hope all this mess gets done soon!

Hey,

Thank you very much for the list! I've got 3 old desktops and 1 old laptop so I am going to try a few different distros and see which one works the best for me. I'm just learning and this will keep me busy now that we can't go to work! Definitely won't get bored.

Thank you,
Kneelix
Not at all kneelix..

Thanks!

kneelix

I did a test drive of around twenty distros in LiveCD mode. MX Linux and Linux Mint are the only ones I'd recommend for install. If you want to stick with just using it as LiveCD, then Kodachi or TAILS would be my pick. Look over the video reviews on YouTube, which does nice job of previewing a distro, showing what its like, and how it runs.

I'm using MX-19 Linux and it works great OOTB on my old 2010 Frankenstein computers.

Look in the MX repository first for software needed and install from the MX repository before downloading and installing from outside source.

Software in the MX reposatory's has been tested and tweaked to work without problems with MX Linux.

I did a test drive of around twenty distros in LiveCD mode. MX Linux and Linux Mint are the only ones I'd recommend for install. If you want to stick with just using it as LiveCD, then Kodachi or TAILS would be my pick. Look over the video reviews on YouTube, which does nice job of previewing a distro, showing what its like, and how it runs.
i use linux mint, but i have tray kodachi, very long time.... at first installation work, then the they after don'work! don't find for WIFI (sic) >Every time is so. I have abbandone.... linux mint is at glance and you can all warfare. the connect with my iphone protected with VPN is istantanly. then no more problem.

Members online

Latest posts