Need to Format SSD using Linux to make it blank

kevinb77

Reaction score
Credits
So, I have not been able to find out a solution to this anywhere. I get people telling me how to format a SSD when they have multiple drives or a different situation. I need to wipe the SSD that is the only drive in my system. I don't understand how you can erase an operating system while you are in it, so I am totally confused. I assume from a USB bootable? Or is there like a "dos" in Linux where you could literally delete the operating system, partitions, etc.

Issue: I had a Dell laptop and old HDD crashed. I installed Windows and for some reason the drivers weren't working, keyboard issues so I gave up and decided I'd just use Linux which I like (mint). Problem now is I am getting a new laptop and giving this one to my friend's kids for school. There is no way they are going to figure out how to use Linux so I am trying to go back to Windows. For whatever reason it crashes every single time on install regardless of windows media creation tool, Ruffus, nothing works. The only advice I got from a tech guy is that there is something corrupted on the drive from the original Windows instull, the Linux install, the partitions are tripping it up or my laptop simply hates windows after having a taste of Linux. He said wipe it to factory. Great! Didn't tell me how...

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kevin

internet playing up and i mis-read your post . Thought it was about an SD card.

So the SSD is your only drive. Ok you can wipe it but i think you are going to need another PC- yes put linux live onto a usb , boot from it and use gParted to wipe your SSD . That shoudl happen when you elect to create a new partition table. Not all the iso burning tools are compatible with both Linux and Windows - I could be wrong!

Ventoy has versions for both Linux and Windows http://ventoy.net

Last edited:
I assume from a USB bootable?

That's it. Boot to a live USB and wipe the drive that way. There are many tools you can use, but GParted or Gnome Disks are two that are fairly intuitive. Just be sure to wipe the correct drive, 'cause it's not easily reversed.

I assume from a USB bootable?
I haven't done that, but I think you can boot to a Live OS and using some tool like gparted, erase the disk's contents; delete and format.

yep gParted works a treat from a usb, in my experience because to use gParted , what you intend to work on should not be mounted, which is exactly case with an OS running from a usb, which is attached to your laptop , but the laptop SSD is not mounted.

Some Linux OS that you will run live , may not have gParted installed as default; knoppix is one that does have it as default. I think Mint doesn't have it installed as default

I think Mint doesn't have it installed as default

Just a clarification - GParted is available by default on a Live Mint USB or DVD, it is removed at the end of the installation from appearing in the installed result, and only then do you need to reinstall it from the Repositories.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Edit - BTW same applies with Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros - available on the live USB, not on the installed final result.

Ubuntu has Gnome Disk Utility (Disks) pre-installed and so does Expirion for that matter - you can use that to format drives and USB sticks from a live USB.

Members online

Latest posts