Neptune Linux

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
Just decided to install Neptune Linux on an old Alienware 11.5 inch laptop last night. Went without a hitch. Looks good. Easy tweaks, backups went easy. WIFI worked on VM sadly not on the Alien because the PCI slot is no longer working even with a new M key WIFI card. Still has Ethernet port.

Based on Deb "Bullseye" has audio and video tools. But it is light and clean on a Dual Core Intel CPU with only 2 gigs ram, it is very reponsive.

Nice choice, Mike :)

I've used Neptune a couple of times and quite enjoyed it, might put it back on again.

Wiz

I mean its fast on a dual core old Intel Alienware with 2 gigs mem. Update interface is a bit odd. Go to software at the top is update, not a separate icon such as MX, Mint or Peppermint. It also has a dedicated USB installer with persistence included.

It did not revive the PCI slot the wireless is installed into. :( Did not expect that though, but there is always hope.

After a Mint update on my older HP with Win 8.1 and Mint Win the last time I used it had no problem with the wireless, Mint however lost it and it never came back. Since I wiped out Win and Mint and installed MX Linux 21 on that one Wireless is back.
Also mint would not upgrade to 21.

Though Mint even upgrading to 21 on my "gaming rig" wireless still good to go. Gonna try Neptune on my Dell 11.5 Dual touchscreen and see if it keeps the touch, like Peppermint.

I mean its fast on a dual core old Intel Alienware with 2 gigs mem. Update interface is a bit odd. Go to software at the top is update, not a separate icon such as MX, Mint or Peppermint. It also has a dedicated USB installer with persistence included.

It did not revive the PCI slot the wireless is installed into. :( Did not expect that though, but there is always hope.

After a Mint update on my older HP with Win 8.1 and Mint Win the last time I used it had no problem with the wireless, Mint however lost it and it never came back. Since I wiped out Win and Mint and installed MX Linux 21 on that one Wireless is back.
Also mint would not upgrade to 21.

Though Mint even upgrading to 21 on my "gaming rig" wireless still good to go. Gonna try Neptune on my Dell 11.5 Dual touchscreen and see if it keeps the touch, like Peppermint.
Any ideas as to why Mint wouldn't upgrade to 21?

Any ideas as to why Mint wouldn't upgrade to 21?
Not only would it not Upgrade, it would not even load from USB drive, thought the drive was bad redid that nope. Did it again with MX same USB and loaded right up. It was as if the HP did not really want Mint on it anymore.

Mint kept giving error on upgrade due to Timeshift not current but it was. And then it would begin, then stop again. I gave up and now run MX 21. Although I had zero issues with upgrading Mint on my Dual boot Win10 / Mint "gaming rig" and it runs fine on that.

Not only would it not Upgrade, it would not even load from USB drive, thought the drive was bad redid that nope. Did it again with MX same USB and loaded right up. It was as if the HP did not really want Mint on it anymore.

Mint kept giving error on upgrade due to Timeshift not current but it was. And then it would begin, then stop again. I gave up and now run MX 21. Although I had zero issues with upgrading Mint on my Dual boot Win10 / Mint "gaming rig" and it runs fine on that.
That really unusual behavior. Sounds like the configuration of something may have been broken.
Glad to hear that MX is working for you.

Is Neptune Linux a rolling release?

(Wizard doing his best impression of Mike)

No. It's based on Debian Stable, with point releases that can vary from 1 to 3 a year

I started using it with v4.5

Cheers

(Wizard doing his best impression of Mike)

No. It's based on Debian Stable, with point releases that can vary from 1 to 3 a year

I started using it with v4.5

Cheers
That's good news that it's not a rolling release, thanks!

It looks like a pretty neat distro, rock-solid Debian base too, I enjoy learning about the wide variety of Linux Distributions and their different use-cases.

So far if Neptune is running in a 2gb ram old core duo as fast as it is, while playing around I wonder how it will run on a 4 r 6 core 8gb system. It has a bit of polish on it, I am going to play with it on my Dell 2 in 1 lap/touch screen that has Peppermint. But Peppermint is changing.

Well was gonna give some insight into Neptune running on the old Alienware MX11. It has crapped out. Fans running lights on no video, even plugged into HDMI and nada. Seems the GPU has croaked.

Then last night, GParted the Dell Inspirion touch screen running Peppermint, went to install Neptune also. It did not like the partition. But when I actually read the screen on install, it has its own partition util, to install alongside another OS. So I will start over on that. I am actually gonna install MX21 on the Dell. Seems I like it more than Peppermint. So MX / Neptune dual boot.

Was using the Alienware as a test rig. Sooooo, now the Dell has become one. Until I get my Little Frankenstein box built. An old HP board I had in an electronic project box. I am building a mini tower to put it in. The board is 6 1/4 inches square. But I have a vortex CPU cooler, 80 mm but the fan is actually mounted up and blows across, so I need 4 inches of depth.

Ooooops. So now the Alienware has made a liar out of me. I pulled out the WiFi Card as the PCI slot has been toast forever. I just plug it in. Pulled the SSD and noticed a stick of RAM was popped outta place. Checked the SSD in a desktop SSD reader, it is DEAD. WD Blue 240gb that I have used a lot. Grabbed an older SATA 500gb drive. Reinstalled the ram sticks, turned on and now has Neptune installed again. So the problem was RAM and dead SSD. But no video signal at all, no BIOS does not explain the not being able to load OS. But now Video is back, can boot into BIOS, so ???

Installed updates, I like the Menus in the Plasma Desktop, Neptune seems to be fine so far. Gotta charge it now.