Network is unreachable with WiFi adapter

astursp

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I'm experiencing again a "network is unreachable" problem.
My current situation is the following: I bought a USB wireless card, I plugged it in my PC, I configured everything via Yast (wicked services) and everything worked. Then I said to myself, why not using the NetworkManager app in the tray icon to choose the WiFi network in an easy way? well, I installed the network-manager gnome applet (dont' recall the correct name), I moved from Wicked to NetworkManager in Yast and then I tried to connect via the NetworkManager widget.
I selected the correct network, wrote the password and after a while it prompt me again the request for the WiFi password, like if the password was wrong. I tried the suggestions I've found in this forum about checking the "save for all users" and some other checkbox, but nothing changed this behavior.. it still asked me for the password again and again.
I said then: ok le'ts uninstall this widget (and I did) and let's go back to wicked. I tried again the wicked services, but I experienced the dreaded "network is unreachable" error on ping. I tried the ifup wlan0 and / or ifconfig wlan0 up commands, but no change. I then tried to plug the WiFI adapter in another USB port and in Yast I saw two adapters (why?): wlan0 and wlan1, I then deleted the wlan0 and still same problem with this new wlan1.
I tried both DHCP and manual configuration, using the google DNS and without using it. I tried also to change the options to enable the adatper at boot, manually or on hotplug, but now I'm stuck with this "network is unreachable" error.

Any suggestion?

After many attempts I'm now able to make it connect via wicked if I plug off and plug in again the adapter.
No idea why it is working this way because in the general tab there is writte: at boot time. From my point of view it should have worked in this way if I had chosen "hot plut".. it doesn't make sense. Now looking for a way to improve this, looking at least for a way to perform this re-load at boot time with a shell command.. but still looking for the real reason why it's not correctly working..

[EDIT] it's not working anymore.. totally random (apparently)

Last edited:
If you can't even ping the local router, either you don't have an IP address or your network interface is down. ... If you haven't set that (or something else) up, you won't have any network. Not even DHCP.
Try re installation of network adapters drivers.

Members online

Latest posts