Network-Manager Problems (VPN)

Jay Lee

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody,

since I set up - or wanted to set up - an "openVPN" connection a few days ago, I've recognized some problems with the network manager.

I have set up a TCP and a UDP openVPN connection - according to the instructions of my VPN provider - and manually, if I click on the icon in the menu bar above, I can easily connect via VPN:

Bildschirmfoto von 2020-10-01 09-24-00kl.png

But: when I restart the PC / Ubuntu, VPN is never active, I always have to select it manually in the bar (yes, its german, it just says, that VPN is not started):
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-09-30 11-19-52kl.png

If I now select the "Settings" in this menu, I only get to the system settings, but not to those of the network manager (still german, just to show you, what happens):
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-10-01 09-00-53kl.png

The only way to get to the NM settings is for me to run "nw-applet" in the terminal. Then another network symbol appears in the menu bar above, which then shows the NM settings:

Bildschirmfoto von 2020-09-30 11-21-01kl.png

In the NM settings I can then choose that VPN should be used automatically when the selected network connection is started ...

Bildschirmfoto von 2020-09-30 11-21-23kl.png

... but when I choose that, when I restart the system, the only error message is "Activation of the network connection failed" - and my PC / Ubuntu does not connect to the wifi at all.

When the PC has finished loading, the network is deactivated in the menu bar above.

But if I go to "Activate network" and choose my wifi connection - Ubuntu connects to the wifi without any problems and VPN is also started automatically.

To come back briefly to my terminal command "nm-applet":

As long as I have the terminal open, I can see the "second" network symbol at the top, via which I get to the NM settings, but when I close the terminal, there is a warning that "a process is still running" and that this then it will also be closed ...

Bildschirmfoto von 2020-09-30 11-21-36kl.png

... and if the terminal is then closed, the second network symbol also disappears from the menu bar and I can no longer access the NM Manager Settings.

Since I can manually connect to the network and VPN without any problems, so the VPN settings are obviously correct, I simply do not understand why I can no longer automatically access the WLAN when I restart if I check the corresponding box in the NM Manager. .. and if I remove the VPN tick again, everything is back to the old one and works (except of course the automatic connection to the VPN;))

Something is totally strange here ?!

Members online