Networked multi-user

K

kenizl86

I apologize if this is either in the wrong section or a duplicate.

Here's the dealio/what-I'm-trying-to-accomplish:
  • I want to use just one computer for all of my everything.
  • I want to be able to log into that computer from wherever
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. What I'm trying to do is make it so I don't have a laptop, a desktop, a phone; all with different stuff on them. It's pretty annoying trying to sync all of it all the time. So what I'd like to do instead is install Linux (preferably #! [yes I know, it's dead. I will be setting it up though so that the new community-run distro {Bunsen Labs} can be installed no-problemo {AKA: different partitions}]) on one machine (a desktop in my room), and set it up so that I can either use it while I'm at home, or log into it from my laptop while I'm out and about. And if the laptop is not connected to the webernet, the comp will be able to sync with the desktop as soon as it does. It's be nice to also be able to set it up so I can access it from my phone too. On my laptop it'd be niffty if it was not just text, but GUI also (same GUI as the desktop it would sync to).

So there it is. I know vaguely what I might need to employ, but not very much specifics. I know all of this would probably have something to do with automatic rsync scripts and SSH, maybe some VPN and whatnot. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks!

Now, wait. You want just "one" computer... but then you want to remotely log in to your desktop from your laptop? One of us is confused. :D

Getting computers to "sync" can be a pain, unless you just want your browser to synchronize your bookmarks. Email isn't too much of a problem: just use webmail or IMAP and it kind of takes care of itself. There are many good "remote desktop" products if that is actually what you want to do, and they do graphical desktops. Keep in mind that a remote graphical desktop requires a lot of data transfer to show you all that imagery, so it will be much slower than a text-based login. There are some remote desktop apps for your phone also, TeamViewer for one, although I have never tried it from a phone.

Here's another option for you. Let your only "computer" be a live distro on a USB stick. Take it wherever you go, boot up any (newer) computer on the USB and you have your own personal GUI desktop, and all your apps, with you all the time. But USB sticks are a little fragile to carry all the time, and subject to be lost or stolen, so I'd also suggest encryption, a strong password, and frequent backups. Those are good ideas for ALL computers!

Good luck!

You want just "one" computer... but then you want to remotely log in to your desktop from your laptop? One of us is confused.
Pretty much! I'd like the system to essentially be the same. This project might just be a little too far reaching, but I wanted to entertain the thought at the least.

And yeah, I already use gmail and chrome, so all my webernet stuff is synced. The issue is basically syncing the computer's home folders to each other; especially since that's where all of my main files are.

Well, you can do it. One of the great things about Linux is that you can do almost anything that you want to do.

Your Home folder is filled with a lot of stuff that I kinda doubt that you need to sync though, but you have to figure that out. I tend to think that a remote desktop app will do what you want... let you retrieve one of your "main files" as needed, not necessarily have it synchronized at all times. For example, you might have 500 LibreOffice documents, but you only need to open one of them today!

Also, LibreOffice documents in ODF format can be tough to open on your phone. Is that important? You might want your documents in PDF or other format to be usable between all three (not ONE) systems... phone, laptop, desktop. Or, perhaps the remote desktop apps will let you open LibreOffice remotely to view documents.

These are just some examples. We don't really know what you are trying to do... what "main files" are important to you that you want them synchronized. You have several ways to go, depending on what you really need to accomplish.

Edit: Don't forget the security risks of having your home desktop allowing external connections. You won't be happy if a bad guy out there infiltrates your home computer with your important main files!

Cheers!

Members online