New here, just wanted to say hello.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Hello Everyone

I created my account quite a while ago but I never took the time to say hello, so I thought better late than never. I have been using GNU/Linux for a little over 10 years as my only OS, it first started as a hobby to pass the time and to do something(during a more difficult part of my life) but as I got to know know and understand Linux better I knew I wanted to work with it every day. I managed to get so driven that I was able to get a job working with Linux, now in the beginning years I was a member of a forum that died and lately I have been looking for a nice community where I can I can do my best to contribute some back, share ideas with other people who love Linux and hopefully also learn some new things myself.

In the beginning I used to jump around a lot using different distros. I have mostly used the most well know distros Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, CentOS/SL/Redhat. Last year I switched to Arch and now I don't want any other distro running on my workstation. That being said I have also been gaming on Linux every since I switched over, in the last few years with Steam and proton it has gotten a whole lot better(before I was using crossovers to play my games) and have been able to enjoy a lot more modern games under Linux. I mostly like to play single player shooters like Black Mesa, Half life 1-2 ,Doom 2016, and Borderlands 3, etc. I also like to play some older games online with friends: Unreal Tournament 1999, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Unreal Tournament 3.

I try to find time here and there to learn new things, like keeping up with new technologies evolving around opensource and Linux. I am currently working on learning and getting better with bash shell scripting. I hope at some point to have time to also learn some python since it seems to be a really useful language to know when using Linux.

I hope that was enough of an introduction.

Hello! Looking forward to your posts and picking up some tips & tricks!

G'day again @f33dm3bits - nice intro. :)

There's a time for work and a time for play (although I treat Linux mostly as play), so if or when you are all "posted out" from helping and learning, and you enjoy music, swing over to my Rock Roxx thread in off-topic (link in my signature below) or fellow staffer @arochester has classical music at

https://linux.org/threads/anyone-like-classical-music.26004/

Enjoy your Linux and enjoy our company at this site. :D

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome !

Interesting intro.

G'day again @f33dm3bits - nice intro. :)

There's a time for work and a time for play (although I treat Linux mostly as play), so if or when you are all "posted out" from helping and learning, and you enjoy music, swing over to my Rock Roxx thread in off-topic (link in my signature below) or fellow staffer @arochester has classical music at

https://linux.org/threads/anyone-like-classical-music.26004/

Enjoy your Linux and enjoy our company at this site. :D

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thank you! I'll have a look at the Rock Roxx thread since Classical music isn't my cup of tea.

Just three questions, I have been thinking about changing my username(not sure to what yet) is that possible? And I see you are a Gold Supporter what does that mean? And is there anyway to use code tags in a post to seperate commands, configs, and logs(or maybe it is easier for logs to link it to an external site) from the rest of the post?

Last edited:
Hello! Looking forward to your posts and picking up some tips & tricks!
Nice to meet you @Vrai! Just so you know I am in no way an expert in anything and I don't know everything :)

Just three questions, I have been thinking about changing my username(not sure to what yet) is that possible? And I see you are a Gold Supporter what does that mean? And is there anyway to use code tags in a post to seperate commands, configs, and logs(or maybe it is easier for logs to link it to an external site) from the rest of the post?

1. Use the Contact Us option, or let me know in private if you wish and I'll pass on.

2. Silver and Gold Memberships are available through your Profile, go to Your Account and left-hand side, Account Upgrade

3. In your Reply Pane tool bar right of smiley face emoji, three dots and down arrow shows Code amongst other options, or all is explained at https://linux.org/help/bb-codes/

Don't give me any tough ones to answer, it's Sunday night and I'm headed for food and TV :D

Cheers

Chris

1. Use the Contact Us option, or let me know in private if you wish and I'll pass on.

2. Silver and Gold Memberships are available through your Profile, go to Your Account and left-hand side, Account Upgrade

3. In your Reply Pane tool bar right of smiley face emoji, three dots and down arrow shows Code amongst other options, or all is explained at https://linux.org/help/bb-codes/

Don't give me any tough ones to answer, it's Sunday night and I'm headed for food and TV :D

Cheers

Chris
Thanks @wizardfromoz . I will see if I can come up with something better ;)

Just one question how should I react to new Linux users who are asking for help asking if you can walk them through it step by step without even putting any effort in themselves. If they aren't even trying to put a bit of effort in themselves they won't learn to do it themselves.

Just one question how should I react to new Linux users who are asking for help asking if you can walk them through it step by step without even putting any effort in themselves. If they aren't even trying to put a bit of effort in themselves they won't learn to do it themselves.
That's a good question. I have participated in many, many Linux forums and found that very issue in each and every one of them. Some forum posts answers have been rather rude and condescending to the person who will not help themselves (not here though) and often end with the infamous "RTFM" advice. I have not seen that here at Linux.org.
What I generally try to do when a forum poster seems to not be interested in helping themselves is answer the question as correctly and as succinctly as I can and then just move on. Or, just skip the question all together. Usually I will try to get the person to provide more information. Sometimes a person may not know how to ask for what they need or even what to ask.
Patience and kindness, Young Grasshopper, may not help a person learn to do for themselves but it will make me a better person. (IRL too!)

That's a good question. I have participated in many, many Linux forums and found that very issue in each and every one of them. Some forum posts answers have been rather rude and condescending to the person who will not help themselves (not here though) and often end with the infamous "RTFM" advice. I have not seen that here at Linux.org.
What I generally try to do when a forum poster seems to not be interested in helping themselves is answer the question as correctly and as succinctly as I can and then just move on. Or, just skip the question all together. Usually I will try to get the person to provide more information. Sometimes a person may not know how to ask for what they need or even what to ask.
Patience and kindness, Young Grasshopper, may not help a person learn to do for themselves but it will make me a better person. (IRL too!)
Thanks for sharing your insights on that. That's what I tried to do with this one forum topic going on, it can just be a bit frustrating. When I actually spin up a vm to try something out just to go through the same process as I am advising the person to see if I get the same results. Then getting the idea that I'm putting in more effort to solve their problem then they are themselves.

Staff online

Members online