new here

• Thread starter Deleted member 162429
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also though the number of Choices may seem overwhelming at first. Start at the beginning and slowly learn.
this page may be of help in choosing things.

okay. i need linux for multiple taps open and mostly for youtube.
web apps i guess. i know linux is not chromebook right?
i couldnt even get firefox installed on a chromebook, but i like google chrome browser as well.
and i use firefox browser too. i like options, i dont want to be limited. and i have a windows desktop, desktop computer right? so i need something like cinnamon i guess, but i was also curious about other distros as well, again, i dont want to limit myself here. again, thanks for the help so far. but i have to do it my way, its not like someone else is going to install a version of any os onto my computer. i dont want to do servers and networking stuff. please reply when you can. thanks. i made a donate as well, but i got screwed cause im in canada. low dollar value, so i could not give more. sorry about that.

i know linux is not chromebook right?
Is your machine a chromebook ? If it is, be aware, it is not as easy to install Linux to them, and some chromebooks you just can't install it at all.

my computer is a HP 8000 compaq windows vista computer. 4gbs of ram (2x2 ddr3 laptop ram hence the compaq)
i put a 128 sata ssd into it. gma4500 graphics. dual core intel 3.0Ghz. dvd burner. no jokes this time, it is what it is.

i can use 32bit or 64bit versions of windows as well. i go back to 32bit sometimes, but with linux i dontg have to cause 64bit linux os can run 32bit app i think with wine or something. its been a while. i mean, i tried things before, long before, but i gave up on it, trying to decide one day to just go to linux for good. i dont want malware and spyware anymore.
i know all of this may have been said my someone or another before, but again, im new to linux.org. thank you.

my computer is a HP 8000 compaq windows vista computer. 4gbs of ram (2x2 ddr3 laptop ram hence the compaq)
i put a 128 sata ssd into it. gma4500 graphics. dual core intel 3.0Ghz. dvd burner. no jokes this time, it is what it is.
That will be quite perfect for running Linux Mint 21.1 (Cinnamon) (Thanks for clearing that up! )

2023-06-09_05-24.png

i told you guys last night the specs. maybe it in another feed or something. or maybe i didnt send it out to ya.
so cinnamon? okay then.

HP 8000 compaq
What can I tell you about your box,, It was built in 2009, the E8400 CPU is 64 bit, the Q45 motherboard is also 64 bit,
It is quite capable of running any Linux, BUT due to the limitations of the CPU, I would recommend either a medium or lightweight distribution

okay. im confused again. so no cinnamon then for my computer?
i need something lighter then? just wanted to confirm what is going on now.

i tried linux lite 6.4. wont work. keyboard does not work with it.
i guess my keyboard, computer, bios is too old.
im going to try booting linux cinnamon in a few minutes.
im using unetbootin, unless thats no good, and i would need to terminal something before, during, and after.
if i need to do that, i may as well use msdos6.22. that seems stable enough.
how to enable keyboard without being able to type anything.

Some thoughts...
If you are trying to install using a USB to install Linux. Try using Ballena Etcher to burn the ISO to the pen-drive.
Use a good quality, fairly new pen-drive [cheap ones and old ones often cause problems].
If you are trying to do a clean installation on an SSD that has W8/10 on it there may be a hidden partition at the beginning of the drive, this can cause problems as that's where Linux likes to install grub.
If its an old SSD also run a health check
Linux is totally user configurable, if you find a distribution that works for you, you can always install Cinnamon desk top after your up and running.

installed on the hp8000. im just going to leave the welcome screen there for a while. if i dont try anything on the computer, it should be fine. something i learned from windows. thanks microshaft, i meant microsoft.
what a weird name huh.

ok your getting there, if its installed correctly and everything is working then your next move is to activate Timeshift [before anything can go wrong]

okay, thanks for the reply.
i used a dollarama usb 2.0 drive. i never checked anything, no health checks ever.
i used unetbootin. it installed, so ill leave it alone for now.

timeshift? okay. ill check that in a while.
also, no internet on it yet.
i hope a usb wifi adapter will work okay.

welcome to the update manager, but i didnt click on anything yet.
thats so weird. its like linux wants to help people, unlike ms.
windows updates? whats that? sigh.

OK so your running Mint [doesn't matter which flavour] open a terminal and type inxi -Nn copy and paste the result back

the update manager is good, and can be trusted, click on refresh, then if anything is listed click on install and put in your password, then let it run

wait, do i open terminal before updating anything or after that?
and also, do i still need to setup timeshift, which is what by the way?
is it like windows recovery or something?

thats so weird. its like linux wants to help people,
yep on the popular beginner distributions it does hold your hand a bit [some people are not keen on this]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online