New install Kali linux, screen is completely messed up and crazy. I have tried mint and same results

gregward

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Folks,

I've used linux distros for years, but ran into a new problem. I currently have been attempting to install linux on an older machine, e-machine T3418, AMD Sempron 3400+, NVidia GE Force 6100 GPU, 160gb hd, 512 MB DDR Ram. I have it hooked up to a large "tv" through a serial port.
Ok, so I first tried Linux mint and it got through installation fine, but then when it loaded up, the screen is completely undreadable, it has colors across screen, and nothing is viewable. I tried ubuntu newest version and same thing. I tried ubuntu studio, and low and behold it worked. I then tried kali linux and it also has screen issues, unreadable and unusable. I guess I just wanted some guidance in figuring out why it is doing this. Thanks!
-Greg

Hi Folks,

I've used linux distros for years, but ran into a new problem. I currently have been attempting to install linux on an older machine, e-machine T3418, AMD Sempron 3400+, NVidia GE Force 6100 GPU, 160gb hd, 512 MB DDR Ram. I have it hooked up to a large "tv" through a serial port.
Ok, so I first tried Linux mint and it got through installation fine, but then when it loaded up, the screen is completely undreadable, it has colors across screen, and nothing is viewable. I tried ubuntu newest version and same thing. I tried ubuntu studio, and low and behold it worked. I then tried kali linux and it also has screen issues, unreadable and unusable. I guess I just wanted some guidance in figuring out why it is doing this. Thanks!
-Greg

Hi Greg, and welcome! I can't recall any type of "serial" connections for video. Do you mean HDMI? But either way I think I would try a different connection if possible. The trouble could be the "tv" versus a standard monitor.

Also, your RAM is a little low for those distros. You might want to add more, or look at some distros with lower requirements.

At a guess, I'd say it's probably missing drivers for the graphics card.

At the boot selection screen, opening up a terminal and adding nomodeset to the kernels command line parameters should allow you to boot to the desktop and log in.

Then you should install either the proprietary nVidia drivers, or the free software / neuveau ones. Then the next time you boot, you can remove the nomodeset option.

Offhand, I can't remember the exact steps to get to the terminal on the boot selection screen, to edit the kernel parameters... I haven't had to do it for years! But if you need any help with it, I'm sure one of the many distro-hoppers here will be able to help!

Hi Folks,

-Greg
Welcome to the group, mate.
Looking at the specs for your machine, I see that the Video uses 128Mb of the installed 512MB of ram. You might consider adding some ram. It will take up to 2GB of PC3200 DDR SDRAM.
I have an old Compac V5101 with Sempron 3300+ and ATI Radeon Express video. It also shares ram with the video, so I upgraded it to 1GB of ram and it runs Mint Cinnamon just fine. Stan (Atanare) may also be correct about the HDMI connection to the TV, vice a monitor, contributing to the problem.

Happy Trails,:)
Paul

Morning from DownUnder ... "distro hopping" Wizard here (considers turning Jas into a frog, :confused:)

@gregward another Welcome :)

You may want to consider this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

The table at the bottom lists system requirements at the right edge, but is not exhaustive on architecture supported (32-bit cf 64-bit, I have not looked up your specs yet).

Of those listed, I have used the following:

• Bodhi Linux
  • GoboLinux
  • Lubuntu
  • LXLE
  • MX-16 and
  • Porteus
Porteus allows you to customise your .iso prior to downloading it. Also runs in RAM (or used to).

One that is not listed there is one of the best - PeachOSI BB (BareBones) available from here

https://peachosi.com/Doors/DonateDownloadPageFluid.html

I have The Works on one computer, but more particular to your case, my wife's Compaq C300 lappie has only 512MB RAM on it, and has both LXLE and Peach BB running quite nicely on it.

Peach is a small family business run by Jim Carpenter. I have had two (2) occasions to deal with Jim directly, and been satisfied each time.

Food for thought and good luck, I will be interested to see how you fare.

Wizard

@gregward - Hi Greg, just a little brainstorming.

Define

screen is completely messed up and crazy

Can you take a phone pic, or similar, and hook it up to us?

Cheers

Wizard

when you switch to a different tty(Ctrl+Alt+F2-6) is it still messed up, or can you see a text based login prompt?

I had the same issue, here is a simple fix. On the install menu go to help then on then next screen type the following command.

Boot: vga=normal fb=true

This should disable the frame buffer and it should automatically restart without problems.

This thread has been dead since 2017. It's in your best interest to start a new thread, rather than replying to a thread that's nearly 4 years old. Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts