New Laptop

MacgyverPT

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys.

I've try post this question on "Laptops/Netbooks" secton, but I have insufficient privileges to post there, so I decided write on this one.

I want buy a new laptop for programming (python, Java, PHP...) so I saw this laptop (Bladebook Fall 2018)
with Manjaro. I like this laptop, so my question is, wich laptops you recommend like this one? I don't care much the brand, the only requirements is good hdd storage (or something I can change after), mobility (lightweight) and good battery lifetime.

This equipment is only for programming nothing more than burn the last few neurons!

Heard great things about the Bladebook. Personally, the laptop I do all my programming on is a Thinkpad (x230, but any good TP would do), you can get them for very cheap and they have the kind of attributes you're looking for like their hardware flexibility and mobility. Plus, the keyboard feels really good.

Thank you @Scout . That TP is another option.

Can I install GNU/Linux on this machine?
From what Google shows me: yes and no. Yes, you may be able to get it to boot Ubuntu (possibly others)... but no, not everything is likely to work correctly or at all. If that's something you can live with, check out these links and some of their followups:

https://esc.sh/blog/linux-on-lenovo-miix-320/

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Installing-Linux-on-Miix-320/td-p/3846851

I think it would also be a very good idea to have a solid backup plan ready to restore Windows 10 if/when needed. This computer doesn't seem quite ready for Linux just yet... or Linux is not ready for it. Good luck!

Cheers

Thank you.

I have a friend and he have bought this hybrid and sell it after a few months. Thanks God I spoke with him after I wrote the post! :D:D

Hi guys.

Unfortunately I don't bought a new laptop BUUUUUUUUTTT I've Macbook Pro laptop since 2009 (with upgrades: +8GB Ram and 250gb SSD) and I was sick of OSx so easy to guess what I do :D YYEEAAAHHHHH I remove OSx and install GNU/Linux :cool::D:D:D

I install Ubuntu 18.10 on my machine, all work perfect also wifi (broadcomm) at first try. My laptop seems got a new life! Runs smoothly! Now I feel free!

That is good news, Portuguese friend ! :)

Thanks for sharing. Now don't forget to enable your firewall :rolleyes:

and enjoy.

Avagudweegend

Chris

Hi guys.

Since 21 December, I use only Ubuntu on my Macbook Pro. Since last week (I had a problem that can't resolve - graphics card broken and apt also broken - no, I didn't install any package or upgrade system), and I had a work to finish, so I "removed" Ubuntu and installed a flavor of my favorite distro (Arch Linux)... Manjaro.

Now I feel more comfortable and HOME.
God bless GNU/Linux!

Members online