New laptop

Alan Jannister

Reaction score
Credits
I am about to buy a new laptop for my writing as a hobby author. I need to be able to build spreadsheets using libre office calc, surf the net, email and facebook. I do not use gaming programs or download movies. I have been told that Mint is a good option. My current laptop (Dell Inspiron-3531) is running Ubutu 18.04.01 LTS and I have noticed a considerable internet slow down since upgrading to this version.

What would be a good option (low cost of course) for my type of usage?

Many thanks for any advice given.

if it really is a internet related problem then replacing hardware isn't what you need. if the internet is the only thing slowing down on your system it's probably an internet problem (crazy thought, I know).

Last edited:
(crazy thought, I know).

Not so crazy, I agree.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @Alan Jannister and welcome to linux.org :)

I'm moving this thread to Hardware, where it might attract a better audience.

Good luck with the writing Alan ;)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

if it really is a internet related problem then replacing hardware isn't what you need. if the internet is the only thing slowing down on your system it's probably an internet problem (crazy thought, I know).

Thing is, my Dell was quite quick until I upgraded the software to the 18.04 although I think that you are correct that my internet connection could be partly to blame. I'm looking at buying a new bit of kit anyway because this one has started to give problems when opening the lid. I have to push it back and forth a few times to get the screen to activate and I think that it will die completely soon.

Alan I have to scoot to cook the evening meal (Australia) very soon.

But was it 16.04 you upgraded from? The memory requirements might have some impact, but I would think 4GB was enough.

Wiz, over and out.

BTW can give you some tips on lightweight Distros for maximum speed, but Internet is still a factor at your end.

Are you US-based?

Thing is, my Dell was quite quick until I upgraded the software to the 18.04 although I think that you are correct that my internet connection could be partly to blame. I'm looking at buying a new bit of kit anyway because this one has started to give problems when opening the lid. I have to push it back and forth a few times to get the screen to activate and I think that it will die completely soon.
the upgrade could be part of it. I remember when I upgraded my mac to mojave it broke a few programs and it does seem slower. at any rate, good luck.

Members online

Latest posts