New Linux Build.

Thomsky

Reaction score
Credits
Hello people, I am new to this forum and so by way of introduction just a brief intro to myself.I have been around Linux in many forms, My very early experiences were with open susie, Debian, Free bsd and settled for a long time on Mandrake untill it be came Mandriva.

I now use Ubuntu which is my os of choice. i have build many PCs and servers NAT drives, Pi stuff etc, and over the last few years have managed to get my hands on a lot of kit for recycling and have build some decent Machines mainly intell stuff.. so I am not relay up to speed with the latest stuff. Now i have come to The point I want to up grade my i3.

I recently brought a AMD Ryzen 3 bundle supposedly running at 4.0 Meg and found it to be utterly useless on a board that did not support any sort of overclocking. and to add to the insult found that AMD's Ryzen Support for Linux is non existent, which is a real shame as AMD used to be the choice of build back in the day it just used to work.

So my Question is I am Going Back to Intell and looking at i5 six core any one got experience of building with these or can recommend mobo bundles that do work, as i don't have the time or the inclination these days to mess around.

Well, hopefully you've learned something about doing research first before opening your wallet.

Some AMD processors are very much at home with Linux, some of the newest are not, or may require a lot of work to make them work. Just check out some of the threads here in linux.org, check Google, and check any of the other Linux forums; it's always the same questions and the same problems.

If you are going to stick with Intel CPUs for a while, exercise good judgement there, also. The first question should always be, what is it that you want to do. I have a nice low end MSI MB running a 9th gen i5, that suits me well. I don't game, I don't do heavy video editing, or any other CPU/GPU-intensive stuff. I've also run Gigabyte, and ASRock MBs with a lot of success. I've spent the last couple of decades building my own systems to my own needs and not buying boxed systems built to the needs of the sales department.

Answer the hard questions first, then building your system will be easy, and the results will be enjoyable. And, the hard question NEVER involves what the latest version of any hardware is.

Just to let you know, I am running a Ryzen 2400g on a MSI X570 A pro. 16G Corsair Vengence 3000MHz ram. patriot 1T nvme. 4TB WD black. R9 270. I did have my 3400G without r9 270 in here and Linux games were running at 20 fps. Cross fire is working. I have been able to get up to 60 fps. The game that played easiest was Overwatch. The hard probe shows multiple Raven gpu's. Raven is Ryzen driver. One of them is the r9. I like Fedora and KDE. currently on 32. Turn on gaming overclock to get a little faster. BTW the Ryzen CPU's work in burst mode. If extra power is required they will clock up to 4.7GHz. I did Slackware. I used to like Mandrake until they changed some things. I then moved to Fedora.

Thanks for that ksnash007 there is hope for amd then. I have used Fedora in the past and have also built Gentoo. Because linux Kernels are Monolithic they can be more forgiving to hardware but it depends on how they are built on different Distros, I am sure that amd's gpus apus etc can be made to give top performance, as can be seen from the different Bench Mark results particularly on you tube. but as I said these days I don't have the time or inclination to mess about, but thank you for you input much appreciated.

Members online