Eater

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone! My name is Aleksandr and I want to become programmer. My laptop is running on Linux Mint and it wound be interesting to know how it works. At the moment I work as relay protective electrician at a small power station in electrical lab. Could I be useful to the resource?

@Eater Welcome to the forums,
tell us a bit more, what is your laptop? And what part of the world are you from [I am guessing Eastern Europe]
you have chosen the most popular distribution for newcomers to Linux, however you will still be on a learning curve,
so sit back kick off your shoes, grab a beer, and enjoy the ride

Bwiz

Hi everyone! My name is Aleksandr and I want to become programmer. My laptop is running on Linux Mint and it wound be interesting to know how it works. At the moment I work as relay protective electrician at a small power station in electrical lab. Could I be useful to the resource?

Hi Eater welcome. You picked a great distro.

tell us a bit more, what is your laptop?
The device is ASUS VIvoBook 15.
CPU: Intel Pentium 4417U x64 2300Hz
RAM: 8 Gb
System: Linux mint 19.3
... And what part of the world are you from [I am guessing Eastern Europe]...
You are right about Easter Europe, I live on the border between Europe and Asia. It's interesting what told you about it? (I am learning English, and it can help me)

... so sit back kick off your shoes, grab a beer, and enjoy the ride
Thank you!

Where could I ask some short questions about command line? Right now I don't have enough time to read tutorial, but I will do it in the future.

It's interesting what told you about it
The way you spelt your name, it is a version of Alexander, that I associate with Bulgaria/Macedonia region,
If you are not sure where to place your questions…
If it is Mint specific then use the Mint subforum https://www.linux.org/forums/mint.160/
of it's a hardware problem, use the appropriate forum,
anything else, ask in general Linux and if needed the Mods will move it for you,

Addendum.. this may help with your programming.. https://itsfoss.com/free-linux-training-courses/

Bwiz

Last edited:
Could I be useful to the resource?

Your work requires an understanding of electronics and, more importantly, requires you use logic/critical-thinking. I assume it's also diligent and very much evidence-based, with a concentration on providing a service that stays up and running even during the most difficult times.

So, you may make a good programmer, troubleshooter, tester, or support person. In time, you'll learn more about Linux and you'll eventually be able to share that with others. If you take up programming, it'll take a while before you're good at it - but working with a project where you might get a mentor will certainly have potential to make you a good programmer.

I'd say start understanding Linux while learning something like Python to get a start. Later, look at C and C++. Find a niche and get programming - or find something that is inefficient and fix it. Get your name out there with the projects that interest you and soak up as much information as you can from them.

If there's one thing I've learned from doing so, it's that you'll find someone willing to help you - so long as you're truly willing to learn and put your effort in. I used to know next to nothing about testing Linux and now I'm actually an official Lubuntu (and Ubuntu) member. I get to see my name stamped on the project and am recognized for my contributions.

I guess, at the end of the day, I'm trying to say that it's up to you and how much work you're willing to put into it. The sky's the limit.

This may interest you:

Thank you very much for your advises and the article. I had read it and it so interesting way to analogy sport and what your place in the Linux world. I agree that people have to go to something instead of from something (in general, not only in Linux). In the current moment I have begun to study C and right now it a problem to realize your advice about use first knowledge in real word for solution real problem. It becomes boring just solve tasks from tasks-book. But I am not despair and expect one book from author, whose study-book I chose. Maybe it is wrong way and all information that I need already exists, but...(I wanted to write some reasons but it's doesn't matter, only one reason exists. I am a human, it mean that I am weak) Just do it! I will get my purpose. Thank you very much.

G'day @Eater and welcome :)

If you click the heading top left that says Forums (or right-click and open a new tab in your browser), you will find a sub forum called

Command Line

described as

How to get things done via command line (CLI).

There you can ask questions on commands, and also on scripting, for example bash scripts.

If you click the heading top left that says Forums, you will also find a sub forum called

Forum Assistance

if you have problems navigating the site.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

whose study-book I chose.

Which book did you choose? I've got a ton of them. Some of em I haven't even read, actually. I keep meaning to.

Which book did you choose? I've got a ton of them. Some of em I haven't even read, actually. I keep meaning to.
I have chosen "Программирование введение в профессию". It can be translate as "Programming, introduction in the profession". I am Russian and the book in my native language.
I am delighted by the book. The book has 8 parts in 3 books. The Author gives you and follow you through basic knowledge of compute science. From advice to work under Unix system with sufficient evidence to do it to the organization of Kernel. He offers to begin from Pascal, then try basic thing on Assembly to understand theoretical things on practice, as how to work with registers and how loops works on the iron. After he use C to explain the language, system calls, working network, threads and others. At the end he make a small excursion in high level languages and OOP.
This way is long but I like it and it's important to me to know foundation. It helps to memorize and make interaction between different themes. The slow but sure, this is my way.
The author is maintaining free software direction and he gives opportunity to get the book free. It's his webpage where you can get the book in 3 parts: http://www.stolyarov.info/books
So I like his approach and hope on his task-book.

@Eater
Welcome to the forum.
I concur with @mrcrossroads you selected a good distro. It is one I use also.

Members online

Latest posts