New PC: 20.04 LTS does not load from Live-USB-stick - many error messages

Just an FYI that that is 2,690 lines of output folks :p

Jay I have to head off for my evening here soon, but I will swing by tomorrow and see if I can be of use.

Cheers

Wiz

Yes, I know... text-wall incoming... but that is what Ubuntu gives me back... me, by myself, was just looking for "error"-code by searching for the keyword "error"...

But i did wipe out all other lines... and make new, cute little file... and yes... they were 2 "dmesg" orders inside... hm... strange...

Attachments

• dmesg2.txt
    18.7 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

Jay did you follow that link that Brian provided, to check your .iso ? The hashsum, confirms or warns that the .iso you downloaded (even from Ubuntu) is the same at your end as it was at their end.

Also, if you have Synaptic Package Manager onboard (look for it in system tools), it will reveal any broken packages.

At Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t),

apt-cache policy synaptic

will reveal if you need to install it, if so

sudo apt-get -y install synaptic.

Really gotta go this time.

Wiz

Jay did you follow that link that Brian provided, to check your .iso ? The hashsum, confirms or warns that the .iso you downloaded (even from Ubuntu) is the same at your end as it was at their end.

Wiz

Yes, at #13 I did write the result of the hashsum-procedure.

... and here come the synaptic-results (still german, but I can't see any error-messages):

Code:
jpl@AmigaMCC:~$ apt-cache policy synaptic
synaptic:
Installiert:          0.84.6ubuntu5
Installationskandidat: 0.84.6ubuntu5
Versionstabelle:
*** 0.84.6ubuntu5 500
500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
jpl@AmigaMCC:~$

Last edited:
But... will this fix the errors?! I already did install Ubuntu twice... and both times I got the "3 files were damaged" message...
IMO, running ubuntu with full DE on 1.6 GHz and your other specs is asking for disappointment. Especially when not verifying the ISO -- just MO.
Code:
md5sum path/to/your.iso
But, do what you want, newb!

I did download the ISO direct from Canonical (ubuntu.com) and made the Live-Stick with UNetbootin.
One should always 'verify' the downloaded ,iso.
It is very easy, quick, and painless.
Can possibly save much aggravation down the road.

From within the terminal locate the dowloaded .iso and run
Code:
>sha256sum ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso

The result should look something like;
Code:
e5b72e9cfe20988991c9cd87bde43c0b691e3b67b01f76d23f8150615883ce11 *ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso

You can also do this in Windows terminal or powershell but the wording is slightly different.

The checksum you get from the download site and the checksum generated in your terminal should match exactly.

@sp331yi

Jay Lee described his 'specs' in his first post as :

# of CPU Cores

# of Threads

Base Clock

3.6GHz

Max Boost Clock

Up to 4.2GHz

Total L1 Cache

384KB

Total L2 Cache

3MB

Total L3 Cache

32MB

Unlocked

Yes

CMOS

TSMC 7nm FinFET

Package

AM4

PCI Express® Version

PCIe 4.0 x16

Thermal Solution (PIB)

Wraith Stealth

Thermal Solution (MPK)

Wraith Stealth

Default TDP / TDP

65W

Max Temps

95°C

....?? ubuntu with full DE on 1.6 GHz...??

One should always 'verify' the downloaded ,iso.
It is very easy, quick, and painless.
Can possibly save much aggravation down the road.

From within the terminal locate the dowloaded .iso and run
Code:
>sha256sum ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso

The result should look something like;
Code:
e5b72e9cfe20988991c9cd87bde43c0b691e3b67b01f76d23f8150615883ce11 *ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso

You can also do this in Windows terminal or powershell but the wording is slightly different.

The checksum you get from the download site and the checksum generated in your terminal should match exactly.

Well, at #13 I already did post the result of the suggested ISO-check-procedure.

But I did your alternative too:

Code:
jpl@Tuxedo:~/Downloads$ sha256sum ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso
e5b72e9cfe20988991c9cd87bde43c0b691e3b67b01f76d23f8150615883ce11  ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso

The ISO seems still correct ;)

@sp331yi ....so who's the noob ?

....better to leave that word from your vocabulary....tend to shoot yourself in the foot !...

@Jay Lee ...has the Ubuntu updated since install ?

Wile E. Coyote, we could call it Freaky Friday, but most of you folks aren't there yet. :) Except for Jay.

Oh, Brian and Wile E. knock it off or I'll bribe Brian's dog Belle to bite both of you.

Jay, the step you performed at #13 was the GPG verification - that is to verify that the small text file that contains the hash verification (hashsum or shasum) is the same at your receiving end as it was at the sending end, Ubuntu.

The actual hash sum verification, as friend Vrai has outlined, is to verify that the Ubuntu .iso you downloaded is the same at your end as it was at their end.

Reasons for the latter include discounting the possibility that

1. the file was damaged during download - eg brownout, wifi "hiccup", &c
2. the file was intercepted, and "Your Legit Ubuntu iso" is now "Your Unfriendly Malware iso"

and so on.

If the .iso file was damaged (or even at the USB stick end, the stick is damaged), this could account for 3 damaged files. The sha256sum check will help eliminate that or identify that.

Back soon

Wiz

wht-ferrari.png
the
Forgive the typo -- won't redo it!

Jay, the step you performed at #13 was the GPG verification - that is to verify that the small text file that contains the hash verification (hashsum or shasum) is the same at your receiving end as it was at the sending end, Ubuntu.

The actual hash sum verification, as friend Vrai has outlined, is to verify that the Ubuntu .iso you downloaded is the same at your end as it was at their end.

Reasons for the latter include discounting the possibility that

1. the file was damaged during download - eg brownout, wifi "hiccup", &c
2. the file was intercepted, and "Your Legit Ubuntu iso" is now "Your Unfriendly Malware iso"

and so on.

If the .iso file was damaged (or even at the USB stick end, the stick is damaged), this could account for 3 damaged files. The sha256sum check will help eliminate that or identify that.

Back soon

Wiz

Hm... I did the checksum-thing at #28 - and I did get the same number @Vrai wrote in his reply.

Follow wiz's post# 31

But I have already done all suggested tests... and the "sha256sum" give me as result the same checksum as mentioned (=> #28 at the bottom of my reply).
o_O

Last edited:
You're fine, Brian may be referring to #22 about Synaptic.

Now that we've established you have it, you can check it as follows (I'm doing this from Ubuntu 20.04, but my desktop will obviously differ)

Synaptic1.png

Synaptic has the green down elevator arrow, choose it, then

synaptic2.png

Check near bottom left for broken packages held, and if you have 3, then

synaptic3.png

Choose Edit - Fix Broken Packages.

Synaptic is not invincible, but it is a very good tool, and while it is open you should right click its icon and choose to add it to your Favourites/Doc/Panel.

You can even use it to perform your updates if you wish.

Cheers

Wiz

You're fine, Brian may be referring to #22 about Synaptic.

Now that we've established you have it, you can check it as follows (I'm doing this from Ubuntu 20.04, but my desktop will obviously differ)

View attachment 7004

Synaptic has the green down elevator arrow, choose it, then

View attachment 7005

Check near bottom left for broken packages held, and if you have 3, then

View attachment 7006

Choose Edit - Fix Broken Packages.

Synaptic is not invincible, but it is a very good tool, and while it is open you should right click its icon and choose to add it to your Favourites/Doc/Panel.

You can even use it to perform your updates if you wish.

Cheers

Wiz

Okay, thx, I will check it ASAP.

Note: I got all devices for my new PC... except the monitor... so everytime I have to check something, I have to take "this" monitor, carry it to my new pc, plug in... do the tests... then plug off... carry it back to "this" pc... plug in... continue working...

(and because I am already not sure, that my Ubuntu installation is fine, I have not installed any of my programms... no Keepass2... no passwords... not able, to login from the new PC into the world wide web and write comments from new PC ;) )

Hello,

so, well... I just did re-install my Ubuntu system... to check out some other stuff.

First... it was enough to include "nomodeset" , no need to deactivate the LAN-Chip.

Then, the error-message about the 3 bad files did appear during the pre-installation procedure:

P1010793kl.JPG

After the installation, when the system tells me to reboot, I can see that messages:

P1010794kl.JPG

But... after the restart, doing all of the update-files... I did check the system with synaptic:

P1010795kl.JPG

Yes, still german language, but as you can see: "0 defekt" = "0 broken".

So it seems, my Ubuntu works very well yet... so I can start rebuilding my apps and stuff?!
:cool:

Thank you all, for your efforts.

Hello,
. . .
So it seems, my Ubuntu works very well yet... so I can start rebuilding my apps and stuff?!
:cool:

Thank you all, for your efforts.
Yea, if you are happy with the graphics as-is, I see no reason not to do so.
BTW -- sorry for the confusion in my head, the other day I got your post mixed up with another's.
Best wishes!