New to Kali!

J

JoeDanLinux

As I've read more and more about Kali Linux I have noticed that it's definitely not for a beginner such as myself to use as the first Linux system. I've come to regret wiping my hard drive and installing this Kali system, and I would much rather install a system such as ubuntu, mint, or fedora. I have a couple questions. Can I use GParted to partition my drive while still having Kali? Also, could anyone link me to a GParted tutorial? And finally, how in the world do you install packages on Linux!? This is, comically, the most annoying part about my transition to Linux. I cannot install anything. For example, the email client, Mozilla Thunderbird, is sitting in an archive somewhere on here and I have no idea how to install it. Anyway, I would really appreciate the support from the Linux forums, and I do sincerely apologize for my complete lack of knowledge! Thanks, all!

As you stated, you're new to Linux, so yeah, Kali probably isn't the best option for you (yet)..... :) I would definitely give Mint or Ubuntu a try, as they use "apt-get" as their Package Installer to download and install Packages, like Thunderbird, GParted, or GIMP..... :) Fedora, I think, uses a different, but similar command to install Packages..... I think..... :\ As for GParted, you may have to run it from a USB, using an ISO such as (surprise! :D) the GParted ISO which is found at http://gparted.org/download.php ..... :) Also, Live Distributions, such as (you guessed it!..... :D) Ubuntu and Linux Mint, ALSO have GParted installed on them by default (at least in the LIVE version..... :)) Also, the GParted ISO itSELF is a full-fledged OS, possibly based on, or is, Debian, with GParted, along with some other useful tools, built-in..... :D Let us know how you're progressing with this problem..... :3 Ciao!..... ^^

Thanks for your reply blackneos! I've decided to download and try ubuntu. But can I dual boot ubuntu and kali? I'd like to keep both.

Thanks for your reply blackneos! I've decided to download and try ubuntu. But can I dual boot ubuntu and kali? I'd like to keep both.
You can dual boot Ubuntu with Kali but it may be difficult if you have never tried it before. The Ubuntu installer should have an option for dual booting .

It did, ubuntu, as it turns out, is very easy. I'm transitioning well. Thanks all!

As you stated, you're new to Linux, so yeah, Kali probably isn't the best option for you (yet)..... :) I would definitely give Mint or Ubuntu a try, as they use "apt-get" as their Package Installer to download and install Packages, like Thunderbird, GParted, or GIMP..... :) Fedora, I think, uses a different, but similar command to install Packages..... I think..... :\ As for GParted, you may have to run it from a USB, using an ISO such as (surprise! :D) the GParted ISO which is found at http://gparted.org/download.php ..... :) Also, Live Distributions, such as (you guessed it!..... :D) Ubuntu and Linux Mint, ALSO have GParted installed on them by default (at least in the LIVE version..... :)) Also, the GParted ISO itSELF is a full-fledged OS, possibly based on, or is, Debian, with GParted, along with some other useful tools, built-in..... :D Let us know how you're progressing with this problem..... :3 Ciao!..... ^^
Wow, I can't believe I was on this site since 2014.

Your profile say that you joined in 2017... Probably something happened to the forum at that time

.. Probably something happened to the forum at that time

23rd April 2017 there was a major software change to the website, required us all to rejoin.

G'day Adam, long time no see

Wiz

Moving this to Kali subforum

check out this method, if applies,

1. As you are on Kali, you'll need GParted on a bootable USB stick or disc.
2. instead of your hard drive, change your computer's boot
3. Launch GParted
4. Shrink it to make space for the new Linux installation
5. now create a new partition
6. Apply changes to execute them

As you stated, you're new to Linux, so yeah, Kali probably isn't the best option for you (yet).....
This really isn't a beginner vs. advanced issue: kali is designed specifically for penetration testing and other kinds of security audit applications. It does work as a daily driver, but there's no reason to install it unless you want to spend hours learning about security, internet config, cyber crime, etc.

I dont have kali installed simply because i do not need it.

Members online

Latest posts