New to Linux - Need Guidance

Unique....comes to mind

Hello! Been very busy here. Am in the middle of redoing the computer and radio room to make way for a new desk setup. Everything is out, moved into different places in the house. Computer and desk in living room, radios all put up except the Cobra 142. Tore out all the carpet and pad, had to remove all the staples and nails in the floor...ugh. Just got the new flooring put in yesterday. Vinyl plank grip strip flooring with an oak finish...looks really good. That was a lot of work...hands are sore from pushing on the planks to seat them properly, knees are battered...not an easy thing. Not to mention having to work around trim and other objects. Still some small pieces to do, and put the trim back on the wall, then I can start installing the new desk setup. Going to take some time to get it all back together, but it will be nice when it is done. Maybe I can get back around to working with Linux then. I'll post some pictures when it is done.

I look forward to seeing that
aWZkM0E.jpg

but it will be nice when it is done.

Can you come and do our place when you are finished? I'll buy you a steak and a beer?

We have kangaroos in our back yard. :D

Wiz
BTW we have that vinyl with a wood finish, it attracts good comments from visitors and is so easy to clean (God, I sound domesticated, but I am my wife's Carer, too). :)

Hehe, thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure if I want to do this again...very hard on the body....wow, I sound like I must be getting older or something...:D Might have the floor in the next room installed by someone else :p

Olds - you are on the horns of a dilemma here, friend :):(

1. If you are still operating from a USB stick (Live) without Persistence, any changes, any downloads or updates - these will vanish once you reboot. You will be back to square one.

With Linux operating systems, if you do not want to install on your hard drive, at least right away, there is the Live USB. However without persistance, it will not be written to.

I found some time ago, that Linux allows you to create your Linux System on the USB. I do this when testing Linux distros or If I am trying to choose between a couple distros. Your USB will act like a HDD, accept changes, accept programs, just as normal on the HDD. You have to make sure you have a large enough USB, I would not go smaller than a 16BG and recommend a 32GB. If you plan to run for a long period of time on the USB, GET A LARGER USB DRIVE.

Be very careful if you chose to go this route because the installer will show the system drive as well as the USB drive. When you install to the USB as system, If possible, I recommend pulling the plugs on the system drive during the install, so you only have the USB to deal with. Cannot error if only one drive in the picture.

The usb will act like the normal drive. Make your data saves to a different drive.

You will experience all the features that distro offers.

AFter installed, the Distro will give you full access to the distro, something that does not happen with the Live USB as certain things need to be assigned to work on the drive. If you have a problem when booted up, you may have a setting to change.

200305 2202

Last edited:
Buy a used Lenovo Thinkpad. Something cheap and install a Linux distro, something from the Debian Family. Mint or Ubuntu. Keep Windows on a separate machine until you become familiar with Linux. After a few months you will be in a better position to make a decision as to how you should proceed.

Members online